drum revolving around screw rod

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's quite a lot of torque to transmit from shaft to drum. Wouldn't you be better off with a plain steel shaft with a metal plate , bar or disc welded across it to act as a hub?

Dee

Dee,
I totally agree with what you are saying, hence my earlier suggestion of a handle mounted directly on the drum and a stub axle.
I think there are a number of better ways but as the OP has both made a start and would appear to have limited metal bashing facilities I think we are stuck with a few constraints.

Bob

er... Bob... am I being stupid, or does your idea of a handle actually not work? Assuming you mean a handle sticking out of the side of the drum, it can only turn half a turn before it hits the side? The only way to put a handle directly driving the drum would be as (I think) the OP is planning, which is on the end of the shaft, OUTSIDE the sides?

Or, as I say, am I being stoopid?

Dick, The clue is in my mentioning a stub axle.

The photos are of another machine. I'm suggesting a drum supported on one side with the handle on the other.

Does that make sense now?

Bob

Iv'e had a quick scan of this thread and I think Iv'e got the hang of it and would suggest that the best nuts to use are flange nuts on both sides and to cover the threads on the studding with plastic tubing to act as bearings.

Back