Dropping phase on a power roller/feeder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormer1940

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up this beast when I bought my Wadkin PKA rip/panel saw... However I don't really have a use for it on the saw. My single phase spindle moulder in the background however does need a power feeder.
I have been told that you should match the feeder phase with the machine for safety reasons as in if you need to turn the machine off in a hurry then the feeder switches off at the same time.

The feeder is 3 phase so my question is what expense is it going to be to convert it and is it a relatively simple job ?? I was going to sell it and put the money towards a single phase feeder but just want to weigh up my options..

co-maticweb.png

You could operate via a contactor fitted with a 230v coil. Linked to the single phase supply on the moulder. A simple and cheap conversion, then it would only have power when the moulder was on and as soon as the spindle stops the feed would also stop.

Bob 9 fingers had a good wiring diagram in post should come up with a search.

Chris.

The thread on dual motor starting you might be thinking of is here

http://thewoodhaven.co.uk/phpBB3/viewto ... =19&t=2645

It is for a slightly different application but will give the OP a lead.

However the big issue here is that the feeder is 3phase and we have to assume the OP does not have 3 phase supply.

For all you need to understand the options, read the document in the footer of all my messages.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for posting. I do have 3 Phase. All my machines are 3 Phase apart from the Spindles Moulder...

So why to you ask about "converting" the 3 Phase feeder????
OK well do as Essex Chris suggests. Switch your three phase to the power feeder via a contactor with a 230 volt coil circuit that is supplied the coil in the the spindle contactor.
Before you ask - no I don't have a circuit for that but if you understand what you are doing then you will be able to work it out from the above and if you don't them I strongly suggest you get a sparky in to do the job to meet regs.
Bob

Well someone has told me that the roller/feeder needs to be switch off at the same time as the spindle for safety reasons so would ideally need to be plumbed into the spindles electrics.

i.e. so the roller doesn't keep feeding the stock when the blocks have stopped spinning.

I may well just get a sparks in to see what they can do...

Stormer1940":139hlaq3 said:
Well someone has told me that the roller/feeder needs to be switch off at the same time as the spindle for safety reasons so would ideally need to be plumbed into the spindles electrics.

i.e. so the roller doesn't keep feeding the stock when the blocks have stopped spinning.

I may well just get a sparks in to see what they can do...

Which is exactly what I have suggested isn't it?????

Bob

Back