Drillpress Mortice attachment modification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luthier49

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently upgraded my ( crappy ) Nutool 12 speed bench mounted drill press for a Delta 17-900 floor standing drillpress. I used a mortice attachment on the old press with a reducing collar to fit the 55mm collar. Without the reducer it would fit a 65mm collar. The collar on my new drill press is 75mm. The photos show how I made the mortice attachment fit my new drill press. The adapter was turned on my wood lathe from 4" diameter industrial nylon. Particular attention had to be made when turning the fit over the drill press quill as this needed to be a perfect fit. Two saw cuts were made across this part of the attachment so the jubalee clip could clamp the attachment to the quill.
Mortice2.jpg
[/img][/url]

Here`s another view of the attachment. I`d just finished sharpening the chisels and augers in this photo using the Axminster sharpening kit. Worked a treat. I`ve yet to make a wooden table for the drill. I`m also impressed with the keyless chuck. Iwas going to replace this with a keyed chuck as I could`nt see how these chucks could excert enough torque for metal drilling jobs. My fears were unfounded because the first thing I done when I received this machine was to drill a 5/8" hole in the center of the table which it done with any drill slippage at all. I`m impressed.
Mortice1.jpg

Back