Drilling porcelain tiles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd seen a post somewhere but can't locate it.

Trying to drill a few holes in some porcelain tiles (Imola..if that helps). I'm using Armeg drills (which I thought were the bees knees) but these tiles are basically telling Armeg where to get off. New drill bit as well.

Any suggestions? Holes are 6mm - 8mm.

Thanks

Roger

Chuck the armeg in a drill press, and drill it in a plastic container full of water (washing up bowl sort of thing, I ended up with a under-bed storage container for some larger format tiles...). put the tile on some ply so you don't go through the bottom. A slow speed and lots of pressure, more than you can really get with a hand drill, is what these bits like best. The water bath keeps them cool, if they get hot for a moment it ruins the bit.

Nice idea..my problem is that the tiles are already fixed to the wall :cry: I've got a water spray that keeps it wet..lots of pressure...well leaning into it is about the best I can do :cry

Although I do wonder about your comment re ruining the bit if no water....as in 1 second dry or maybe a few minutes before the bit is knackered and is there anyway to tell visually?

Use one of the very small diamond cores, they go down to 4mm dia, you will get about four holes before they are blunt. I get mine via hong kong but some of the tile shops are starting to do them but at a much higher price. I bought a set of twelve that cost less than £20.00 inc postage.

http://www.richontools.com/catalog/c36_p2.html

Use a slow speed in the cordless and a small garden type sprayer or empty house hold cleaner bottle withspray trigger.

They do not have a pilot so the best way to locate them is to drill a suitable hole in a scrap of ply or MDF and locate this over the hole to start the cut.

They also go through ceramic tile in a few seconds and you will get a lot more cuts.

Jason

Jason

Good link, thanks. I can only see 10mm as the smallest size. Is that right or have I missed the smaller size?

From what I can see diamond is the way to go. I have a larger diamond core drill and I used that to drill holes for the shower pipes etc while the tile was unmounted. Also used MDF as a guide and found that clamping it down gave a little well for the water as well ! Armeg I think are carbide and so pants.

Roger

I thought you meant the Armeg diamond ones, carbide won't do porcelain.

Roger,

The last time I drilled tiles, about 5 years ago, at my sons, he had some diamond drills that looked like spear points. They cut a small hole and then sort of reamed it out to the full size of the drill. Worked really well, trouble is I can't find them in any of the obvious places. :roll:
What size are you looking for? I can ask him tomorrow were they came from, he may even have some kicking about. :shock:

Andy

Chalk and cheese basically :) Porcelain tile is baked at higher temperatures in the kiln, more so than many types of ceramic tile; the higher the temperature, the harder the tile.

I've tried that type of drill..I heard the porcelain tile snigger.

Roger

Jason...you are THE MAN :!: :!: :!:

Just tried one of those core drills. Phrases like 'hot knife through butter' spring to mind.

Yabba...yabba...doo!! Yee-harh !! Stupid grin time :lol: :lol:

I am SUCH a happy bunny. What a great forum !!!

Cheers guys

Roger

Glad to help, if you don't mind me asking what make did you get and from where and how much :?:

Jason

Jason - not at all. I needed them in a hurry and Googled and came up with ToolShop Direct who shipped for am delivery the next day.

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk

Product Name : 8mm Mini Diamond Drill Bit
Product Code : MDCD8
Price Per Item : £6.95
VAT : £1.04
Quantity : 2
Sub VAT : £2.08
Sub Cost : £13.90

Product Name : 6mm Mini Diamond Drill Bit
Product Code : MDCD6
Price Per Item : £5.85
VAT : £0.87
Sub VAT : £1.74
Sub Cost : £11.70

Product Name : 7mm Mini Diamond Drill Bit
Product Code : MDCD7
Price Per Item : £6.45
VAT : £0.96
Sub VAT : £1.92
Sub Cost : £12.90
Tool Shop Direct [[email protected]]

Jason - not at all. I needed them in a hurry and Googled and came up with ToolShop Direct who shipped for am delivery the next day.

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk

Product Name : 8mm Mini Diamond Drill Bit
Product Code : MDCD8
Price Per Item : £6.95
VAT : £1.04
Sub VAT : £2.08
Sub Cost : £13.90

Product Name : 6mm Mini Diamond Drill Bit
Product Code : MDCD6
Price Per Item : £5.85
VAT : £0.87
Sub VAT : £1.74
Sub Cost : £11.70

Product Name : 7mm Mini Diamond Drill Bit
Product Code : MDCD7
Price Per Item : £6.45
VAT : £0.96
Sub VAT : £1.92
Sub Cost : £12.90
Tool Shop Direct [[email protected]]

Thanks Roger, a bit pricier than the ones from Hong Kong but still worth the price, just wait 'till you try them in ceramics :D

Jason

Back