Drilling on the Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UKTony

Established Member
Reaction score
Making lots of progess, want to attempt a couple of bud vases since i have a few inserts, whats the best "bit" for drilling, Auger, Forstner or flat drill bit and is there a technique, my books seem to have limited info on drilling, i have all the tools i need i think

T

Tony,

For bud vases I use an ordinary twist drill - works fine for me (up to about 12mm diameter).

For larger, shallow holes I use a Forstner bit (remember to use a slow speed!).

For deeper holes I use a flat bit (up to 32mm dia), again slow down, and be prepared for some fierce vibration!

I don't possess any auger drills, but I suppose that they would work well too.

tony i have used the flat bits its slow slow stop stop slow the bit can get hot and i mean hot :) so take your time or it will jam .

frank

When drilling wood on my metal working lathe (2MT in the tailstock) I prefer to use a Forstner bit if possibe. A twist drill will work well too.

I doubt an auger bit would work very well inasmuch the screw thread on the pilot will want to pull the tailstock forward and hence risk loosening the tapered mandrel on a chuck.

Back