Drilling marble

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
In another thread, Gill asked:
Gill":hgmdfvky said:
I hope nobody minds me asking a question that's slightly off-topic but still related to the Diamond - what's the best way to drill into marble?

Gill there are some multipurpose drills (Irwin) in the Screwfix catalogue that claim to be able to drill marble http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=34779

The mind boggles - are you going to do one of your patterns in marble?

Andy

Mod edit - sorry Andy, had to edit in an explanation of the start of this thread.

dedee":2rn2ff19 said:
The mind boggles - are you going to do one of your patterns in marble?

Now there's a thought! :lol:

A generous benefactor has donated a slab of marble as a base for my Diamond saw. Now all that remains is for me to bolt the saw in place; to this I shall (obviously) have to drill bolt holes in the marble.

Roger - I've never heard of Armeg before, but looking at the website they certainly seem to have an impressive range. Have you used their drill bits on marble yourself? Which are the bits you'd suggest as being the most appropriate?

Gill

I would try with an ordinary old SDS drill first, Gill. Marble is pretty soft and SDS will get through granite fine, so marble should be a breeze.

I suspect you won't need a tile drill, if that was the purpose of the Armeg link.

Roger Sinden":3nin7qae said:
Armeg are the bees knees

Roger

The Armegs will do for marble but they still loose their edge after a dozen or so holes in porcelain, I prefer the small diameter diamond bits from e-bay works out about 20p a hole where the armegs work out £1.00-1.20 a hole.

The basic tile drills from the likes of Screwfix will go through marble no problem, just don't overheat them.

Jason

Gill,

I'll second what Jake said. Marble is quite soft and if you don't have an SDS drill, then just try an ordinary masonry drill first. If you have problems with a larger diameter, then start with a small diameter bit of around 3-4mm and work up through the sizes.
My DeWalt 18V handles limestone effortlessly and the even harder Beaufort Brick that the older houses around here are made from is only a bit more difficult.

Back