Drilling into wet, still living wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just cut down a very large laurel tree and am left with a stump about 3 foot high. The diameter of which is far greater than the maximum cut on my B&D electric chain saw.

I'd like to kill the beast to prevent it throwing up shoots from the stump and below ground. Digging it out is near impossible at it is too close to the fence and existing shrubs.

I figure that drilling holes into the stump then filling with sodium chlorate or a brushwood killer then covering with plastic sheet to prevent dilution should do the trick but from past experience drilling into to live wood can be a problem.

Has anyone done this before? What did you use bit wise etc?

thanks
AndyP

forgot to mention if anyone would like some laurel logs for turning 6"-10" diameter and can collect from SE London/NW Kent (Bromley area) let me know.

Andy

Hi Andy..

I had exactly this idea when trying to kill off an Italian Alder overshadowing the kitchen, used a spade type bit to drill 1 Inch holes every 6 inches around the base, going in as far as the bit would allow (6-7 inches?) and the damn thing is still alive and flourising 2 years later, i cut it down to a 2 foot stump, and this year i've cut 10-12 foot braches/shoots/suckers/whatever that were about 3 inch diameter. The damn thing won't die, so be prepared for failure with this method.

Due to the proximity of the stump to the house and the size of the tree before i attacked it we were advised by the builder to let it die naturally before removing the stump, i was only trying to hasten it's demise...

cheers

jim

But hey, at least you're experiencing first hand what coppicing is all about - an art/way of life sadly dying out in this country, but which is responsible for most of the ancient woodlands still standind!

I have had experience working with a tree surgen. He used to use the tip of a chainsaw (BE VERY VERY CAREFULL) to cut "hash marks" about 2-3 inches deep in the top of the stump.

Then fill with sodium chlorate and place something on top, ideally a log of the trunk.

Sodium chlorate is fantastic stuff (when used correclty) and will kill most things.

if all else fails look in the yellow pages and hire a "stump buster" team.
They will normally bust a stump out for you for a lot less than you`d think.

regards

steve

Jim, thanks for the confidence boost!
What poison did you use? Did you cover the stump to prevent water diluting the product? Thinking on my feet for a moment perhaps I could plug the holes up to seal the stuff in.

AndyP

One way I found that works is using SBK brushwood killer (I don't know if it is still available) mixed with a litle diesel and poured into holes drilled in the stump. The stumps I used it on turned up their roots relatively fast, but then again diesel could kill damn near anything.
Drew :lol:

dedee":2l4bovjh said:
forgot to mention if anyone would like some laurel logs for turning 6"-10" diameter and can collect from SE London/NW Kent (Bromley area) let me know.
Never in the right place at the right time. :(

Cheers, Alf

Hi Andy & Jim,

The proprietary brand stuff to use is 'Root Out' - specially produced for the purpose. (As Drew says, SBK mixed with diesel/oil is okay, too. Both are generally available at garden centres, etc.) Used in the manner you describe it will kill the root and prevent any re-growth. However, as with the other compounds, you will still be left with the stump until it rots away with the passage of time unless physically removed.

It doesn't matter whether you drill, saw or split with an axe - important thing is to get the compound well into the sapwood - but drilling sizeable, deep holes is probably best to both get plenty of the stuff in and contain it. If you choose sodium chlorate, don't forget it is a fire hazard.

It does need covering, so nail a bit of wood on top - nice useful garden seat 'til the stump rots!

Shame I'm 200 miles from Bromley!

Cheers,

Trev.

Hello Andy,

We out alterating batches of chloate and some other killer - i thought it was the root out stuff mentioned above, to plug the holes i just hammered in oversize wooden pegs - made them from the branches cut off it.

Espedair - all we wanted was a little light in the kitchen, i didn't want a coppice... i'm not actually allowed to do anything in the garden since i pruned the lilac tree with a sabre saw, 2 years growth and it still looks funny, when it's done at head height that's pollarding isn't it? pollarded lilac darling? still not happy :)

Is this in a lawn? we also had 12 Leylandii that had to be cut out of the front garden and those have ruined the lawn with fairy rings etc, but at that time we didn't have the money get the professionals in to take the stumps out so we just cut each one to below lawn height.. what a mess.. :)

anyway, have fun Andy!!!

jim

Barry, I totally agree. Because of the way in which I intend killing of the stump/roots there will be nothing planted in its place but just a few yards away in an area previously cast in the laurels shadow we will be planting at least 2 fruit trees later in the year. An apple and a pear.

AndyP

Back