Drilling into the end of a dowel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Filed that one away for a rainy day. Ta for sharing what looks obvious... only once you've seen it.

Nelsun":3lm79bdy said:
Filed that one away for a rainy day. Ta for sharing what looks obvious... only once you've seen it.

Agreed, its one of those things that is so obvious but you just dont think of (well I dont anyway).
Glad its not only me that found it useful 8)

Just like drilling a counter bore and then a clearance hole, you do the big one first.

Pete

Excellent tip, thanks. What winds me up about these videos though is how they seem to just pop out and pick up pieces of maple, walnut or, whatever timber they need. Wish we could do the same around N Wales.

I'm sure I've missed something, but how does he get the 1/8" hole at centre of the 1/4" hole in the jig?

Drill bits are pointed, so the smaller drill gets centred in the v at the bottom of the hole.

Pete

This might be six of one or a half dozen of the other, but I would drill the smaller hole first and use it as the pilot hole for the large drill. I would also use a drill press to ensure the holes are concentric in the block.

Back