drilling granite worktop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fitted a couple of granite tops myself in a utility room at one of my house, they were bought off eBay for a tenner, I cut them myself with a normal diamond disc in a 9 inch grinder and I was surprised how easy it was to cut. I borrowed a polished off a tiler I know, and did the the whole lot, an l shaped piece and a piece around Belfast sink in a couple of hours. Just buy a cheap hole saw and bang it through :lol:

IMG_20200714_191803.jpg

Well job done. I went for a 60mm hole and I will buy or turn a grommet to go into it down to 40mm. I could have gone smaller but I want the grommet to have some wall thickness.

I used hand power and took it slowly. I used plenty of water, not sure if as much was necessary but it doesn't matter. I also did a sandstone paving slab with the same setup. I would think that the drill bit could do the same again, the diamond seem to be attached still. The hardest part is that the worktop is 30mm thick and the shaft of the drill is welded to the inside of the drill, taking about 2mm of the 31mm deep inside of the drill so it just bottommed out. The unseen underside of the hole isn't perfect but it will be fine.

It isn't the most used of my tools but that hand cranked bench drill is my favourite. I had a union before it which I think was a bit nicer still to use.

Attachments

• IMG_20200714_191803.jpg
    IMG_20200714_191803.jpg
    810.1 KB · Views: 58
Back