Drilling glass

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Designer1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I've got a project coming up with glass fronts on an 18MM backer board, MRMDF. The glass is 6MM mirror, I'm assuming just a shiny sheet on the back (product here: Cut to size 6mm mirror including shapes and cut outs | Made2Measure).

Has anyone had experience using an adhesive? As I'm trying to avoid the look of screws.

Drilling also, I've got to drill holes for the handles, I was going to use these (Glass Drill Bit Set 4 Pcs). Is it as simple as being gentle and drilling carefully with an 18v combi?

I was sort of hoping the handles would act as a fixing and the adhesive stops it peeling.

Thanks, designer1

Hi, in the past ive used neutral cure clear silicone to bond mirrors to doors. I mark a grid of 100mm squares and then put a little blob of silicone on the crossed lines to keep it even.

You can get the mirror supplier to drill the glass. ( safer ) i havent tried.
Also, you MUST use a nylon washer between the glass and the handle to seperate them and reduce pressure on a given point. ( i saw someone fit a few without seperating washers and half the mirrors broke 😆🤣 )

Just to add, i would think a diamond holesaw/ 6mm drill bit, run slow with water would probably work.... the glass must be fully supported on a sheet of something rigid, dont use pressure. I would think the sharpened tip type bits would cause it to crack

I'd go with getting the supplier to drill the holes - it appears that the supplier you linked has an option for hole drilling and allows you to specify the hole locations. They'll have the correct equipment for the job and any breakages will be their responsibility.

Thanks for the replies, yes I think you're right on getting them to drill the holes. It will be much safer, and quicker...;)

Good point on the rubber washers, I wouldn't have thought of that, that could of been an expensive lesson haha

Any local glass merchant can cut mirror to size and sand the edges which will save you a bit of postage,maybe drill as well. Some adhesive can degrade the mirror coating over time so best to use a specific mirror adhesive . You can get glue for the handles which might be worth checking out, most cars will have glued on rear view mirrors so it does work.

I would say it's a good idea to do the handles so they are actually attached to the backing, and simply pass through the glass, rather than clamping it. You still want to use a thin plastic washer between the back of the handle and the glass surface.

Don't know about adhesive. We had the local bloke fit a full length mirror in our hallway, it's stuck direct to the wall (no screws) using "special adhesive, but being an silly person, I didn't think to ask him what the adhesive was. Sorry,.

But I have drilled glass several times myself, inc. mirrors. I used a drill which looks exactly like the ones you linked to, but didn't use an electric drill, but an "egg whisk" hand drill, going slowly and gently. I also built a small "dam" of plasticine around where the hole was to be drilled, and filled it with meths to act as a coolant/lubricant (that's a tip I read somewhere or other yonks ago). Worked like a charm but does take some patience.

BTW, also used exactly the same trick on a couple of glazed ceramic/clay flower pots that SWMBO needed a hole in the bottom

I have found that when drilling more than one hole in glass/mirrors that it is almost always a given that the last hole you drill is the one that goes mammaries up :eek::cry:

Second the mastic. There used to be a proprietary gunge a few years ago. Dont know if it can be removed later on, but check building adhesives.

Use a ring of plasticine or silicone around the hole spot about 15mm high, pour in water then drill, top up as necessary, light pressure, drill weight usually enough pressure.

Use mirror adhesive - it is excellent stuff - I have used it without any problems on plastered walls in tiled surrounds and on painted mdf on the backs of wardrobe doors - no additional support (although I think I would have cramped a rail in place whilst the adhesive went off.

The adhesive comes with some clear guidance about size of bead, spacing and to ensure the beads do not make an enclosed space.

I don’t think there would be ant need to paint the mdf, but I would probably apply some mdf sealer or something first.

Cheers

I've used adhesive successfully onto sealed MDF. Don't recall which brand but it was 'proper stuff' not any old gloop. Mirrors must have been there 10 years plus and no sign of trouble.

What are the consequences of it falling off? If I were fixing a big mirror above where people sit or sleep I might drill, but in most other cases I would stick.

Thanks for the replies and advice much appreciated. I've gone to a local glass supplier and can pick the sheets up, I'll most likely get the mirror adhesive from Screwfix and then give it a stick. I'll see what it's like before I go drilling holes 😆

Back