Drilling bathroom tiles.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
SWMBO has produced a blind for the bathroom window.
I have never drilled tiles before and am hesitant to try.
Any tips or alternatives welcome.

Drilling tiles shouldn’t be a problem Artie.
Nip down to the hardware shop, buy a tile/glass bIt, 6mm is usually best (and often only size you’ll get locally). Stick a bit of masking tape on the tile and mark your place to drill. Slowly drill through tile and stop, then go with a masonry bit. Tap in a plug but make sure it settles behind the tile, otherwise there’s a chance of tile cracking.
Once done you’ll realise it’s not difficult.

Last edited:
I have a box of drill bits from Bosch which claim to drill anything. They are basically like a masonry drill but actually almost sharp. They go through tiles without much bother, even in a small cordless drill.

Stick a piece of masking tape on where the hole is to go before you start with the tile drill to stop the point wandering

Don’t put the hammer action on the drill till through the tile either

for me, as above, masking tape with a masonry drill bit, drill though the tile without the drill on hammer, then when through the tile and into plaster/brick, turn hammer on and finish the hole.

Same as Rorton. normal masonry bit, masking tape to stop it dancing around. Start it slow to get through the glaze neatly.

Cut the flange off the rawl plug and push it through the tile into the wall behind.

If it is a tile with a softish core covered with glaze, I normally chip away a small area of the glaze with a hard pointed screw. Very gentle hammer taps used of coarse. Chip an area larger than the intended hole, change to a suitable masonary bit and, without hammer action, away you go. It came from a need to drill a tile before glass drills were widely available.
HTH.
xy.

I have a tile bit, with it in the drill chuck I just turn the chuck by hand until I've chipped the glaze then the tile drills easily, but take it slowly.

Nigel.

Word to the wise - protect your eyes and lungs from the dust from ceramic tiles - the glaze dust is to all intents and purposes ground glass DAMHIKT :cool:

SWMBO has produced a blind for the bathroom window.
I have never drilled tiles before and am hesitant to try.
Any tips or alternatives welcome.
Masking tape or even sellotape to stop the bit slipping and a spade type tile drill Argue ..:: job jobbed!

I use a Lidl tile drill guide with diamond bits, works great and no chance of the bit wandering. I bought more 6mm diamond bits from China as that is my most used size and gets worn out after a while.
Looks like this, was about £7 for the set I think, well worth it.

1606121622090.png

Another small tip, get a used envelope and masking tape. Carefully remove the envelope flap. Stick the envelope below the drill point to catch 90%+ of the drill waste.

Drilling tiles shouldn’t be a problem Artie.
Nip down to the hardware shop, buy a tile/glass bIt, 6mm is usually best (and often only size you’ll get locally). Stick a bit of masking tape on the tile and mark your place to drill. Slowly drill through tile and stop, then go with a masonry bit. Tap in a plug but make sure it settles behind the tile, otherwise there’s a chance of tile cracking.
Once done you’ll realise it’s not difficult.
Had a similar problem in an ex-council house - The tiles (as per the advice here) but under the tiles was a reinforced concrete lintel and my masonry bit - 3 of them - ended up bent and useless. I had recently bought a SDS drill and albeit heavy 8kg, it went through the lintel like butter, everything plugged up -sorted! :)

Back