Drilling a concrete wall.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
I'd like to drill a hole in the shap wall around 50mm.
Its just a single block wall, I can't really measure it but prolly 6 - 8"
Should I hire equipment for the task or purchase a core bit and use the corded drill.
I've been told not to use hammer drill with core bits?

I agree with the advice not to use hammer action with a core drill.

On a lot of older style hammer drills you can turn the hammer action off (this isn't a feature of many SDS drills though unless they are the multipurpose ones with interchangeable chucks).

I would buy the cutter and have at it with your corded drill. 50mm isn't that big, just don't lean on it too hard and make it bog down.

Last edited:
In the past, I have used a big impact driver with core bits in stone. The bits are the ones with discrete TCT teeth. There were no problems. Some holes were through about 0.5m of stone. I have used the same on brick as long as the wall will withstand the impact. Some bricks are so hard I couldn't get through them without impact Some old walls have lime mortar which will not withstand an impact driver. The wall starts to disintegrate. I have never tried the diamond core drills. That's what I would try now and no impact.

The difference in density between different walling will impact on the type of drill and bit selection.

It may be worth just drilling a small - 6-8mm - hole with a normal masonry bit - you will then know what you are dealing with. Could be a simple cordless dril and job done in 15 mins, or hire a rig, special bit, spend a couple of hours.

I drilled a 50mm hole earlier this year- borrowed a hole cutter, and drilled it. Very easy, just allow plenty of time and don't let the drill heat up. I used a basic corded SDS, but any drill should be able to do it in time. Turn the hammer action off. A small masonry chisel is useful for clearing the centre out.

Apart from the drill over-heating, the other risk is your wrist being caught when it catches, so go carefully, not too fast.

This was a 1970s concrete wall, so fairly tough.

Back