Drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a "cheap" pillar drill from Machine Mart a few years ago and whilst it is OK at drilling holes if you want any precision it is awful as the quill wanders all over the place. Whilst it is not the same as the one you mention it may well be a trait of the cheap ones. My 2p worth...

I got a cheap drill from B&Q. It was reduced in price, only £50. Very similar to the Taladro It was OK for drilling thin materials, but as above. The quill wandered all over the place especially at maximum extension. I did some mods with copper tape to take up some of the play, That improved it a bit. I managed with it for a year or so, so can't complain.

I got a cheap drill from B&Q. It was reduced in price, only £50. Very similar to the Taladro It was OK for drilling thin materials, but as above. The quill wandered all over the place especially at maximum extension. I did some mods with copper tape to take up some of the play, That improved it a bit. I managed with it for a year or so, so can't complain.
Cheers, can't be any worse than the drill holder i bought once, the entire structure just bent whenever any pressure was applied ! Don't know why they bother making such cr@p !!

I bought a "cheap" pillar drill from Machine Mart a few years ago and whilst it is OK at drilling holes if you want any precision it is awful as the quill wanders all over the place. Whilst it is not the same as the one you mention it may well be a trait of the cheap ones. My 2p worth...
Maybe because i'll be drilling wood, it'll be more stable 🤔 cheers

I'd buy a decent second hand drill like a sealey naerok etc preferably in 16mm / 500w size.

Much more substantial drill imho.

Cheers James

I wish, that one looks just the ticket..... unfortunately where i reside the second hand market is non existent and now with all the new restrictions on mailing to Europe from Blighty it's thrown a spanner in my works, cheers for the link
Sorry I didn't realise you were in Europe!

I presumed Dorset.

Mike J lives on the continent PM him for his thoughts.

Cheers James

I'm thinking of buying this cheapish tool, does anyone have one and is it ok? Looks quite sturdy from the pik.... i prefer to buy from a physical shop but it's way cheaper online..... cheers
https://www.maquinariamadera.com/taladros/61-taladro-de-columna-zj-4113.html
Hi Adam,
I would avoid buying a budget pillar drill. Its cheap because it designed to be manufactured using poor quality materials and low tech manufacturing techniques. Strongly recommend either waiting till you can afford a slightly more upmarket machine, or take some time searching for a quality 2nd hand drill.
I have had a record power band for many years now and can recommend this brand. I believe they still offer a 5 year guarantee which hopefully gives some comfort. I also have several scheppach tools including a 10 x 8 planer thicknesser which has given many years of service. Try giving NMA tools a ring as they supply Screwfix customers. Occasionally they have undelivered tools returned which are then reduced in price as the packaging is usually damaged.

Hope you get sorted.

I bought a 'cheapie' £62, from Clas Ohlson (now trading down the South American river) when they had an online shop. I've had it about 6yrs & cannot fault it. Run out is virtually non existent. The only fault was one pulley grub screw was not tight enough, which Allan's key fixed.

It looks suspiciously like my Lidl special. It's better than a hand drill, but you can't put any pressure on the workpiece and expect the drillbit to stay vertical. If you go very slowly it works out in the end, but cheap is as cheap does, according to Mr Gump . If you need precision, or if you will use it more than once a month, spend more would be my recommendation.

Thanks for the tips chaps, i'm looking for a second hand one here, better quality, this should be fun.

That drill looks better than the lidl to be honest, mainly the table. I've got a lidl one, as mentioned it has a lot of quill run out at max extension and the table is prone to flexing if a lot of pressure is applied. Think it was about 55 quid (cant remember exactly, had it ages), for the price its ok. Its limitations really deter me using that often ..I should really upgrade.

That drill looks better than the lidl to be honest, mainly the table. I've got a lidl one, as mentioned it has a lot of quill run out at max extension and the table is prone to flexing if a lot of pressure is applied. Think it was about 55 quid (cant remember exactly, had it ages), for the price its ok. Its limitations really deter me using that often ..I should really upgrade.
'..I should really upgrade.'.. that's my motto 😁

Latest posts

Back