Drill Till

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
Is that what it's called?

Anyway, using scrap from an old Ikea hanging thing (wardrobe would be dignifying it unjustifiably), and hand tools only, I finally, 40 years on, made somewhere to keep all those loose drill bits in order:

Q6Ooew4.jpg

I painstakingly plugged and Dutchmanned all the old fixing scars:

vBMhBbi.jpg

OK, I lied about that. But I did do some dovetails to hold it all together:

HFx1Hxq.jpg

ZBf29DL.jpg

vaSZGXr.jpg

I didn't use a gauge in making those. The wood was too soft.

I screwed a shelf to the top to get some chargers off my finishing/ junk bench:

yVvc06o.jpg

Queue the mockery......."Is that all the bits you've got?"..........Well, no. I've got some in my tool cupboard:

tqcG9fH.jpg

And some behind my bench:

O2a9pt8.jpg

But getting these bits out from just being chucked in a box shows me that I've got more than enough to last a lifetime, and I really really don't need any more. No, not even if they're only £158 for a set. :)

I was fully expecting a work of art in bog oak no less Mike, ;) anyway it's comforting to know I'm not the only one who keeps crappy wood for donkey's years.

I found that over time, the shanks go rusty where they are in contact with the wood.
I'm gradually replacing the wooden holders with some made from plastic chopping boards, gluing & screwing several layers together if necessary.

Interesting. I've had that when I've used oak, and thought it was just the usual oak/ steel thing. I'll watch for that with this old pine.

Latest posts

Back