Quantcast

Drill Till

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

MikeG.

Damocles.
Reaction score
Is that what it's called?

Anyway, using scrap from an old Ikea hanging thing (wardrobe would be dignifying it unjustifiably), and hand tools only, I finally, 40 years on, made somewhere to keep all those loose drill bits in order:

I painstakingly plugged and Dutchmanned all the old fixing scars:

OK, I lied about that. But I did do some dovetails to hold it all together:

I didn't use a gauge in making those. The wood was too soft.

I screwed a shelf to the top to get some chargers off my finishing/ junk bench:

Queue the mockery......."Is that all the bits you've got?"..........Well, no. I've got some in my tool cupboard:

And some behind my bench:

But getting these bits out from just being chucked in a box shows me that I've got more than enough to last a lifetime, and I really really don't need any more. No, not even if they're only £158 for a set. :)

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
I was fully expecting a work of art in bog oak no less Mike, ;) anyway it's comforting to know I'm not the only one who keeps crappy wood for donkey's years.

Robbo3

Established Member
Reaction score
I found that over time, the shanks go rusty where they are in contact with the wood.
I'm gradually replacing the wooden holders with some made from plastic chopping boards, gluing & screwing several layers together if necessary.

MikeG.

Damocles.
Reaction score
Interesting. I've had that when I've used oak, and thought it was just the usual oak/ steel thing. I'll watch for that with this old pine.