Drill Stand Advice Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark18PLL

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been looking to buy a drill stand but am struggling to find anything decent to use with a forstner bit. I will only be using a bit of upto 50mm diameter but i just need something to help keep it straight, easy to store away, sturdy and decent quality. I have read a few posts earlier but not really finding anything that suits, it will not be used very often and that is why i have decided not to buy an actual bench top or freestanding drill, also the cheaper ones dont have a large throat.

Thanks
Mark

Have had my record power cast iron adjustable drill stand many years and love it, especially as you can put a really heavy duty power drill in it, much more compact and powerful than most drill presses which have a built in motor, and it can be carried around or even taken on site. I even have a 5 drill borer for shelf holes which I fix to it as a home-made adaptation. Have just looked and unfortunately this drill stand is discontinued, maybe you can get a second hand one?

Take a look at Wabeco. They make a range of stands that seem to be better quality than most. I've been tempted several times but I do have a pillar drill so generally manage without the mobile option.
That actually looks pretty good, thanks

I was thinking something more like this, i can then place it where i want and the throat size is probably not an issue.
1636232953287.png

Take a look at Wabeco. They make a range of stands that seem to be better quality than most. I've been tempted several times but I do have a pillar drill so generally manage without the mobile option.

I have the Wabeco 1243 stand. It is heavy duty, solid and accurate. There are smaller cheaper models in their range. None are particularly cheap though but you will appreciate the quality. Check that your drill will fit the 43mm mounting.

A stand is always going to be a compromise. I don't think I would get by without my drill press. It's one of the most used and handy tools in the shed.
Regards
John.

The Wabeco, though expensive, looks far better quality than my Scheppach fixed machine.

A pretty basic question, does your drill have a trigger lock? Both my old corded drills do - a 35 year old bosch and an even older wolf - but no battery drill I have owned has one. I suspect that's why drill stands are rare now. You need a way to hold the trigger in or grow an extra hand and arm.

My old wolf stand failed a couple of years back, base casting crack, I ended up with a very cheap and nasty pillar drill, still much better than what I had before.

You need a way to hold the trigger in or grow an extra hand and arm.
Tie wrap around the trigger and switch on/off at the wall socket....
All the corded drills i've ever used had a lock button though.
None of the battery ones do, but the smaller ones don't have 43mm collars either so won't fit in a stand.

I have had Wolf equivalent of the UJK drill stand for many years. It differs slightly as it clamps onto a standard 43mm drill collar rather than having its own chuck.
I don’t use it very often as it is a bit fiddly but it has got me out of a few difficult situations.
At around £40, it’s a lot cheaper than the UJK

its a false economy. No drill mounted in a stand will be as accurate as a drill press. Also you would need a 750 watt motor at least to drive large Forstner bits.

Tie wrap around the trigger and switch on/off at the wall socket....
All the corded drills i've ever used had a lock button though.
None of the battery ones do, but the smaller ones don't have 43mm collars either so won't fit in a stand.
I use a cable tie on my saw in a bench but you can switch it on and off at the socket,,,put a canle tie onto a cordless drill and there is realisticly no way of stopping it!
Steve.

Latest posts

Back