Drill Press

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shakey1047

Reaction score
I am a newby and this is my first post. Can anyone recognise this drill? I bought it a few weeks ago for £10 and it works brilliantly but I have no idea of the make or age of it. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Shakey.

Attachments

• 8d261.jpg
    8d261.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,061
  • 88481.jpg
    88481.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,061
Hello, Shakey, and welcome to the forum.

The reason why you haven't got an answer yet may be, that this is a German drill press. I found a very similar one in my catalogue of German manufacturer Paul Krampen in the city of Leichlingen (not far from Solingen and Remscheid). Here's a picture from the 1938 catalogue:

http://www.holzwerken.de/pics/krampen_drill_press.jpg

Wolfgang

Hi Shakey

Welcome to the forum.

You are one lucky woodworker to get a drill press like that for a tenner!

Is the heavy-looking, horizontal wheel at the top just to add momentum?

Wolfgang

Nice piece of detective work. I've never seen one quite like this before.

Evergreen

Sorry for the delay in replying, (computer problems) Thank you Wolfgang for the info, it certainly is a great piece of kit, as for the wheel on the top I don't know how it works but it gives a perfect feed.
Thanks again. Dave.

Momentum is mass times velocity, but the function of the wheel is not about velocity, instead it is for feed control. While you lower the drill bit, the wheel is stopped. As soon as the bit hits the wood the wheel starts turning and reduces the feed. The amount of feed and with that the force can be controlled by the small knob on top left under the wheel.

I have a similar drill press made by Metabo, and it is one of the joys of my grandson to operate it. Drilling holes and pounding in dowels was one of the first things he could do in my workshop and he still likes it.

Wolfgang

Very nice!
I'm even more jealous of that than I was of Bugbear's one, discussed a few weeks ago here.

Back