Drill Press Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teejay

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello there. I know that there are tons of DIY designs out there for drill press tables but having looked into the parts I would need to order, I have calculated that I would be better off buying a premade drill press table.

I have been searching and struggled to find anything decent for reasonable money.

I came across a Basic Drill Press Table By Peachtree Woodworking - Pw1014 which has very good reviews, but it seems to only be sold in the US. Has anyone else gone the lazy route and bought a drill press table which has ended up being decent? If so, please point me in the right direction in terms of make/model and where you got it from.

It needs to include a fence, t-track, clamp downs, removable inserts where the drill goes down, a way of clamping it to the drill press and preferably a way of accommodating a drum sander.

Teejay":2cuja8s5 said:
Hello there. I know that there are tons of DIY designs out there for drill press tables but having looked into the parts I would need to order, I have calculated that I would be better off buying a premade drill press table.

I have been searching and struggled to find anything decent for reasonable money.

I'm not trying to be a Smart Alec here, but those two statements really don't make sense to me. How can you be better off buying something you can't find?

I really don't understand what you want here. Can you elaborate please?

Thanks for your replies.

I meant that when you add up the cost of all the parts alongside materials and time, it is probably better for me to buy rather than make.

The drill press table you linked to looks pretty good, although it is more than double the cost of the one I linked to from the US. Unfortunately, the one I linked to does not appear to be sold in the UK and they will not send from the US.

Teejay":2w86hckf said:
The drill press table you linked to looks pretty good, although it is more than double the cost of the one I linked to from the US. Unfortunately, the one I linked to does not appear to be sold in the UK and they will not send from the US.

If it's double the cost of something that isn't available then that's kind of a moot comparison then isn't it?

I'm confused, what is the cost tipping point for you where it makes more sense to buy it if you can't actually buy it?

If that's the one you want, why can't you buy from them and have them ship to the UK? Even with shipping and taxes it is going to be cheaper than the other one that got linked to. Though to be honest I'm not sure why you think that one is better than the one Axminster stock for £80.

Peachtree do ship to the UK, says so on their website.

That said, I'd be hesitant shipping a laminated top of that size through the US postal system shipped to the UK. Probably be fine but if there is any damage it wouldn't be worth the while to return it. Besides after cost plus shipping and import duty I bet it makes the Woodpecker look like a positive bargain. The Axi version looks very similar to the Peachtree one, albeit a different fence. I had an Axi table (from about four years ago) and whilst it was okay and did it's job I had no intention of replacing it with the same one when it got damaged.

Personally I'd get the best you can afford from a UK/EU seller. Peter sells the slightly cheaper pack 1 version;

https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/produ ... ble-pack-1

Having looked at those links and seen a drill press table for the first time; I have to ask just WHY you need to drill one hole that accurately?

Theres 10 minutes setting up time there for each and every hole thats drilled. :shock:

sunnybob":2fy16f2k said:
I have to ask just WHY you need to drill one hole that accurately?
You probably wouldn't but if you were going to drill lots of holes at set distances from the fence and / or use a stop this makes it very efficient and accurate without the need to do any marking out. The fence and stop (on good tables) are scaled so it's easy to set the XYZ coordinates reference by setting these and the collar stop. I suppose my point is it is very good for repetitive drilling.
sunnybob":2fy16f2k said:
Theres 10 minutes setting up time there for each and every hole thats drilled. :shock:
Takes as long as moving the fence and sliding a stop.

admitted it can be made to act as a repetitive stop, but so can a bit of scrap wood and two clamps. #-o
Thankfully I dont need to add this to my wish list. Thats quite big enough as it is :D

Thanks for your replies. I did look at the Axminster model and there are reviews that show it has snapped after a years usage which put me off.

I suppose it all accords how much support it has under it when mounted, mine has been fine for the last three years, mounted on the circular table of a floor standing pillar drill, the existing table to this is bigger than the cut out for the insert and that if possibly the reason mine has been fine and for reports that others have snapped, using it on a small pillar drill table may be a bad idea.

Thinking about this further, I have not tried to support a 3M long oak post on the table to drill one end, I could imagine this would snap it if not supported correctly.

Teejay":3i1v2ot1 said:
Thanks for your replies. I did look at the Axminster model and there are reviews that show it has snapped after a years usage which put me off.

Yup.... hence why I didn't replace mine with another Axi version. I was able to salvage the aluminium hardware to make another so it wasn't a total loss but the long term quality was an issue for me.

Normally I think Axminster are very good value (yes, it is a trade-off: price/quality), but not in this case.

I looked at one of those tables several years back in their showroom, and was completely put off by the track slots, essentially cutting it into thirds. For me, there wasn't enough meat under the tracks to give it enough structural strength. I'm not surprised that at least one (in the reviews) has snapped.

There are two other issues, but they are generic to these things. Firstly, you want as much depth as possible behind the quill. It's really annoying being almost able to reach where you need to drill, but not quite. So there needs to be a slot for the pillar, and the fence rails need to go back either side of it (so only the thickness of the fence reduces the depth you can drill awaty from an edge). Secondly It's not much use if it doesn't have versatile hold down capabilities. So mine will have a taller fence, at least on the left away from the handles, so I can use the fence to support clamps, too.

I've got the track, etc, already, but I'm waiting until I can move the pillar drill to a better location to build it, as right now it's in a confined space and access is very restricted at the sides, so there's no point.

E.

PS: I've seen Steve Maskery's drill tabble in the flesh (so to speak), and it's really good. I think he published plans in one of the mags, but I'm sure he'll be along in a minute anyway...

Eric The Viking":3q4h8frq said:
Normally I think Axminster are very good value (yes, it is a trade-off: price/quality), but not in this case.

I looked at one of those tables several years back in their showroom, and was completely put off by the track slots, essentially cutting it into thirds. For me, there wasn't enough meat under the tracks to give it enough structural strength. I'm not surprised that at least one (in the reviews) has snapped.

I have an Axminster drill table and have not had any issues (£25 with no fence a few years ago). Yes, if you put a 100kg piece of wood hanging off one side you are going to have a problem. However, if you do plan to abuse it like that, why not just reinforce the table by adding a bit of wood or angle iron to the bottom. Problem solved for a few quid.

Latest posts

Back