Drill press restoration ( again ! )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

sawtooth-9

Established Member
Reaction score
About 30 years ago, I came across a Swedish geared head drill press.
I re - built it and it has been great. I replaced all bearings and replaced all the wiring. She has worked beautifully ever since.
The last place we lived had a serious rust environment, so I ( foolishly ) covered her in grease
Now, the grease has solidified ( polymerised ) and the machine is almost "frozen"

Today, I started to strip her down. The grease on the column had turned into "glue" so I took the first layer of "varnish" off with a razor blade.
Took as much as possible off the machine to reduce weight ready to "lay her down" so I can slide off the head.
Having dropped a Multico mortiser on my foot, I will use the tractor to lay down and remove the geared head and then polish the column.

If there is interest, I will follow up and post pics.

sawtooth-9

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know how old this machine is, but it was no spring chicken when I first restored it in about 1990. It's a HEAVY cast iron job and have had to lay the press on the ground to remove the head.
I don't have any lifting gear here, so I carefully roped up the "beast" and attached a sling to the top of the column - the other end attached to the bucket on the tractor.
Great theory, which almost worked !
When the head was about 18 inches from the ground, it swung just enough to bash against the DOL starter for the rip saw. Ouch ! Tomorrow I will source a new DOL starter - a bit of an expensive mistake !
Have started the clean up of the column and the base, and will post a couple of pics in the next few days.
At this stage, I have no idea how I will lift the newly painted head onto the column - any suggestions welcome

sawtooth-9

Established Member
Reaction score
Before I lowered the Beast, I split the gearbox.
I rebuilt this in the 1990's and it is still in perfect condition. The bearings and gears look good - just re-pack a little fresh grease. I am a little surprised because she has done quite a bit of heavy work over the years.
Have checked out the two speed motor, and the winding resistances and mega is good.
Looks like the Swedes built good machines !

TFrench

Established Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an arboga or strands? I got the head back on my grimston (english design very similar to an arboga) with an engine crane, but it was on its limit for height. If you've got a stout beam you can get the column under, I would get a small chain block rigged up to lift the head, then move the column under it.

sawtooth-9

Established Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an arboga or strands? I got the head back on my grimston (english design very similar to an arboga) with an engine crane, but it was on its limit for height. If you've got a stout beam you can get the column under, I would get a small chain block rigged up to lift the head, then move the column under it.
It's a Strands
No suitable beams, I will check the lifting height of my engine crane - but I doubt it.
Might have to resort to a couple of local farmers and ladders ! Oh yes, and a couple of cases of beer !

sawtooth-9

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a pic of the "smashed" DOL motor starter !
7A.jpg

sawtooth-9

Established Member
Reaction score
Have started to clean the pillar and base - but interrupted by having to cut down a very heavy dead tree which was ready to fall across the driveway entrance !
We have had some bad weather, so have had to do a fair bit of clearing up after gale force winds and MONTHS of rain
Hopefully, will get back to the workshop soon.
Below are some "bits" ready to strip and re-paint
8A.jpg
8B.jpg
8C.jpg
8D.jpg
8E.jpg
8F.jpg

Latest posts