Drill guide as cheap piller drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triggaaar

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to do some (more) accurate (than eye) drilling, but I can't justify a dedicated pillar drill, so I'm looking for a drill guide.

Axminster have this one for £10

Has anyone had any experience of this or others, it's roughly what I'm after I think.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

Is that going to offer basically the same thing, but with a little more rigidity/accuracy?
And do these take any drills - cordless, 2Kg SDS, whatever?

The one your were looking at is very versatile-could be held horizontaly against a wall for example, or clamped to a board, I sometimes remove one of the springs from mine-makes it easier to push against, as Axy are really nice people you could ring them and ask what diameter the clamp is :idea:

They only suit them drills that have a removable side arm as far as I know. I have a similar one to the axi stand but it only cost £15-20 and has an arm rather then wheel. There good but nothing compared to a piller/bench drill, I use mine often.

I've got a different brand/model to the Axy cheap sort, but same idea.

It does let you drill square to a surface when you can't get it under the pillar drill, but the clamp on mine is the weak link. THE thing it would be most useful for is lock mortices, but because the drill doesn't centre properly (the clamp pushes it to one side), you can't use the technique of pushing the rods down below to engage either side of the work (centring the holes on the edge of the door automatically). The Axy one may be better -- it looks it -- but mine is frustrating.

I've added a depth stop, which makes it more useful, but on the whole it's not as good as it could be, for want of a bit more care in the design.

I'd keep saving for a proper pillar drill, if you can. Secondhand small ones go for £25 upwards, and you won't regret it once you've got one. I don't know how I managed for so long without mine (well I do - I wasted lots of time and materials!). As a hint, avoid eBay and try local free mags ("Trade-IT" etc.), car boot sales and even Freecycle.

Thanks for the replies chaps.
Eric The Viking":37kn97px said:
I'd keep saving for a proper pillar drill, if you can. Secondhand small ones go for £25 upwards, and you won't regret it once you've got one.
If I could get one for £25 - £40 great, but I really don't need one. I do little jobs here and there, nothing like the works of art you see on this forum, so I don't need a proper one as much as you guys.

As a hint, avoid eBay and try local free mags ("Trade-IT" etc.), car boot sales and even Freecycle.
Ah, ebay is my speciality, it wouldn't be easy for me to get one via the other methods (I could wait a year to see one on freecycle, I don't go to car boot sales or use free mags).

Triggaaar":1f362xa9 said:
Thanks for the replies chaps.
Eric The Viking":1f362xa9 said:
I'd keep saving for a proper pillar drill, if you can. Secondhand small ones go for £25 upwards, and you won't regret it once you've got one.
If I could get one for £25 - £40 great, but I really don't need one. I do little jobs here and there, nothing like the works of art you see on this forum, so I don't need a proper one as much as you guys.

As a hint, avoid eBay and try local free mags ("Trade-IT" etc.), car boot sales and even Freecycle.
Ah, ebay is my speciality, it wouldn't be easy for me to get one via the other methods (I could wait a year to see one on freecycle, I don't go to car boot sales or use free mags).

Gumtree is also worth keeping an eye on...

I've got the axi cheapo one - it's ok - much improved compared to doing it by hand but it does move a bit although that might be my old drill I use in it

I wouldn't think it'd be accurate enough for dowelling - but then you'd probably use a jig for that anyway

so yes it is more accurate than by eye and for a tenner it's hard to fault it - but you'll probably soon wish you'd gone for the better thing

cheers

Back