Drill bits with countersink?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the Festool one because you can get all your countersinks the same depth which is something that I always struggle with.
I also have this Trend set which work well, and a very similar Chinese set which probably cost about a quarter of the price.
None have a 4 or 5 mm pilot but you can always enlarge the pilot hole afterwards.

I think it depends what you are drilling. I have a few sets of different sizes, including Trend. Once the material thickness gets above about 18mm it is very easy to bend the smaller sizes of drill (say 4mm) before the countersink has bored enough, especially in harder woods such as oak. In things other than ply and MDF my experience is it is better to countersink separately.

I just bought a cheap set of 7 from Ebay that had 3 to 8 and 10mm bits in it each with individual countersink.

I’ve used a few and recently got a festool one. It’s so much better than the others it almost justifies the new cost. If you have a lot to do it’d be worth it for the ease of use

I’ve used a few and recently got a festool one. It’s so much better than the others it almost justifies the new cost. If you have a lot to do it’d be worth it for the ease of use
Eye watering Tom? No, it's occasional use, I think I'll try the ebay option!
Thanks though, nice knowing where the top end is!

Avoid the ones with tapered drill bits. They just get very hot. I have some straight ones from Dewalt that I’ve used for years and they work well. They have a holder that lets you reverse the drill to have a screw driver bit on the other end without taking it out of the Chuck.

Eye watering Tom? No, it's occasional use, I think I'll try the ebay option!
Thanks though, nice knowing where the top end is!
Absolutely, though the pain has healed now and I can just enjoy using it without wincing!
The snappy set I had before were perfectly fine, but were more prone to clogging and didn’t have the same depth stop feature.
If you’re going to do 5000 holes with it the cost per use drops ( or something like that if you need a way of rationalising it)

Those Ebay ones are cheap, I use the Trend ones with TCT cutters, just one is over twice the price of that set.

I normally only use those if countersinking ready to take a wooden plug, if countersinking for just a screw I often do it separately and use one of the deburring (snail?) type countersinks as they give a better finish.

I bought a set from Aldi- Ferrex. Used only on soft wood and OK or £3.99. Not sure how they would perform on anything substantial

Latest posts

Back