drill bit problems (pens)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevebuk

Established Member
Reaction score
hi guys

posting this here as most of the pen turners are in this forum..

I am recently returning to a bit of pen turning from quite a layoff, i have just bought the new 7mm colt drillbit and i dont like it all at the moment. It cuts good, but it seems too long to me and i struggle to drill a straight hole with it as it flexs when pushing it into the acrylic, i cant use it in my drill press as again its too long, does anyone else have any issues with it, or is it just me.. :roll:

Steve,

First up - Hiya, and thanks for setting me on the road to turning - still learning and still not impressive, but at least I'm enjoying it still!
You've been out buying yourself some treats again, haven't you?!?
I haven't got that bit, but following post on here or 'the other one', I tried drilling pen blanks on the lathe, rather than the press and I am really pleased - far better, far quicker and far less setting up.

I have even successfully drilled straight through an uncut blank, (ie before cutting it into two shorter lengths for a twist pen) - It worked fine and only had a small wander, so once roughed down was fine.

Hope that helps,

Greg

hi greg
i always use the lathe to drill my blanks (when i did them) but this drill bit is unstable and wanders around when trying to bore the hole, kind of annoys me somewhat, bet it ends up being my fault as usual..

They are very good bits but their weakness is they are a bit too flexible, I have found drilling a small pilot hole first helps a lot. I use one of these http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ce ... prod21647/ then if drilling on the lathe I make sure the bit lines up properly with the hole before winding it through slowly.

I have heard that they do shorter length drills but havent found any yet.

john

Usually between 500 & 1000rpm, providing I remember to turn the speed down.

john

When I was drilling my first one on the lathe the wood started screaming (on slowest speed but blunt drill piece) so at that point I stopped and drilled the rest with my hand drill. I made a bodge clamp for the pen blank :)

Hi Steve,

I have been using Bullet point drills with great success, they have a small diameter tip that acts like a centre drill and leads the main drill in.

I drill using my pedestal drill and rarely have a problem with wandering holes.

Regards,

mikec

Back