Drill and impact driver combo kit recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sachakins

The most wasted of days is one without woodwork
Reaction score
Hi, after 14 years my trusty cordless Hitachi drill and drill driver combo is quickly dying on me.
Looking for a Drill and Impact driver pair to replace them, so many to choose from, minefield decision.
What are your recommendations, budget around £225 max.

Hello Sachakins,
I got a 10.5 volt Makita drill and impact driver set 8 years ago, LiOn batteries, I’m really pleased with them. I’m retired, so only projects for my single, demanding and poor-paying client. Certainly not the demand of a working professional.

Hello Sachakins,
I got a 10.5 volt Makita drill and impact driver set 8 years ago, LiOn batteries, I’m really pleased with them. I’m retired, so only projects for my single, demanding and poor-paying client. Certainly not the demand of a working professional.
Thanks, I do quite a lot, but no professional, just lots of poor paying family clients too.😂, so not sure if 10.5v would need constant recharge during jobs.

I haven’t found that. It recharges pretty quickly (about 20 or 30 minutes). Being relatively small, it’s easy, light and enjoyable to use. For bigger stuff, I use an Elu 240 volt drill. It’s pretty rare that I need the Elu. Your choice.

Hi, after 14 years my trusty cordless Hitachi drill and drill driver combo is quickly dying on me.
Looking for a Drill and Impact driver pair to replace them, so many to choose from, minefield decision.
What are your recommendations, budget around £225 max.
Did the original batteries last.?

Got a dewalt impact driver, wish I bought it years ago. So much power for something so small. 18v
The batteries are slim too.
Heard that erbauer batteries don't last after a year

I've bought an Einhell set a few weeks ago (two 4.0 batteries) - so far so good and the battery platform works for my angle grinder and circular saw (165mm) of the same brand.

Did the original batteries last.?
Yes, but need more frequent charges, reduced power and also lots of bearing wear in chuck and keyless chucks started loosening, so generally worked to death.

I recently bought the Milwaukee fuel drill and impact driver and cannot fault it so far. Possibly a little over budget.

I think it is worth getting a good one, because they do get used a lot. I haven't used or compared the Makita, Bosch, Milwaukee etc but I had a cheap Stanley one and it is a toy in comparison. I am sure that the branded ones are all perfectly suitable. I have the Bosch version of the one that you are replacing of a similar vintage too.

I got a Bosch 18v set in 2016, blue not green and just before brushless took off. DIY- its infrequent but intense use, as someone above said, jobs for relatives and friends as well as me. Very pleased. Batteries might not be quite as good 5 1/2 years on but no sign of needing to replace them yet.

Impact driver was a revalation, can be a bit fierce for some things in softwood (so I use the drill driver instead) but for most jobs, inclsuing fixing fence posts with coachbolts through concrete stubs they are brilliant.

Votage is a 'think about' decision - 18v is most common and will have more grunt than 10.5 or 14 - but capacity is simply a convenience thing. I think mine are 2 aH, so you need to stop and change battery twice as often as 4 aH, might make a difference on site but for an amateur like me its no bother and the lighter weight of the smaller battery is a bonus.

My discerning choice back then was the brand that Screwfix had the best deal on at the time, I'm sure Makita, DeWalt etc would have been just as good. I would just look at what Screwfix, Toolstation or similar are 'promoting' and do the same.

All I have learnt over the years is
'Buy cheap buy twice'

Means you have to save a bit more and can't have all the tools you want for a while, but it's definitely worth it.
Plus buying from reputable retailers like screwfix with no quibble returns and manufacturers extended warranty etc

I bought the bosch brushless that has a 1/2" drive for sockets and takes screwdriver bits too. I use both about equally. Not the most powerful on the market but 3 speeds and works very nicely for my keen amateur uses. Super ergonomics, good batteries. Remember to register for the extended 3yr warranty.

Back