Dresser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Made these dressers for a client just before christmas, not my design theres. My brother in law painted them which was a big relief, as when it comes to painting i am pants. The carcases are mdf and the faces are european redwood.

Fitted-dress-1.gif

Dresser-pair.gif

Simon

hi simon, they look very very nice! I always like to see what the furniture looks like before it is painted. I am also pants at painting, normally ends up like a piece of sandpaper. Did you lead those doors in yourself too?

They look very attractive :) .

It would have been nice to have seen some WIP piccies showing details such as how the carcases were made, door construction and such like.

Gill

Well done Simon, I'm with Gill And Waka regarding WIP pics, I find I can do a better job after picking someone elses brains :wink: :wink:

Cheers Alan

Looking good :D Did you use the Fraud door profiling kit for the doors ?

Thanks everyone for your comments. Will try & include some wip on my next project, but your have to excuse the photos as it took a fair few snaps to get these.

Hi orangetlh
nice to see someone else in the trade online.

Yes did lead them myself, got the lead from a small local supplier in portsmouth, called Bishs who seem to stock everything. The amount of times i have been to a large merchants because it was closer and ending having just wasted my time. Unreal when you consider the size of there little shop.

Hi JFC

No mate, run the moulding on the spindle moulder & mortice & tenon the frame work.

Cant afford profiling kits as saving up for some decent hand tools
for my workshop.

Hi Andy & Waterhead37 thanks

The handles were supposed to be ready at the time of fitting . But the custmoer who was suppling them didnt receive them in time. So i predrilled the holes for when they turned up & agreed that they would fit them.

Simon

Very nice indeed! You must have a fairly large workshop to be able to build TWO of these, I bet I'd struggle to find space for one! :(

I notice the hinges remain clean, where as whenever I see something painted white like this, whoever's done it usually goes straight over the hinges as well. I personally don't like that, so well done to you, or, well, your brother-in-law. :wink:

hey simon, so do you run your own workshop or are you employed? Also have you ever concidered using poplar as a timber if you are painting?

Hi Orangeth,
I am a self-employed carpenter, most of my work takes me on site. But i take on joinery work through the year, for times when the weather prevents me from working or i have had enougth of sitework.

The reason for the redwood is where i get it, it is centre free which offers more stability.

Never used poplar i thought that was what they used to make matchsticks.

Simon

Im not sure if they use it for that. At work we now use poplar for all painted work as the grain is so fine, no knots and very easy to work. Just built one now that should hopefully be included in 25 beautiful kitchens magazine so fingers crossed. It had dentil cornice which was a slight pain to miter!!

Back