Dremel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
having destroyed 2 very cheap look alike dremels this week, its time to invest in one that will be up to the job of doing little jobs on my boat. I have been cutting out little rust spots and grinding down to bare metal.

Ah I hear you say, why not use an angle grinder, in this case it is two big and won't get into the little nooks and grannies.

So recommendations on te make and type are welcome.

Have you considered a die grinder, air or electric, another option is one of the electric motors with flexi drive. All these will have a lot more power and durability than a dremel. having said that I have a Dremel Multi with the flexi shaft that works well for small jobs, wouldn't want to spend several hours grinding rust with it though.

Jason

Hi Waka,

My wife has used a Dremel brand for some time without problem.

On the other hand, a friend who was working on his boat pretty much destroyed his. He thinks due to the side-ways pressure on the thing.

He ended up fitting the smallest trim router he could find that had a quarter inch collet and using end mill bits and some of the original ones for the Dremel. He still has it as far as I know.

Mike

Mike":33wct8cp said:
My wife has used a Dremel brand for some time without problem.

On the other hand, a friend who was working on his boat pretty much destroyed his. He thinks due to the side-ways pressure on the thing.

The spots of rust that I am removing are small no more that a couple of inches across.

Pete":33wct8cp said:
have you considered a Proxxon instead of a Dremel? I've got something like the FBS 240/E.

I did look at this but I felt it didn't give me the flexabiltiy that I needed for the jobs.

Jason":33wct8cp said:
Have you considered a die grinder, air or electric, another option is one of the electric motors with flexi drive. All these will have a lot more power and durability than a dremel.

Not come across this, have you got any links?

Since posting I've been looking at the dremel professional at Axminster, not sure but I guess its worth a look.

This is a die grinder, the body is about 2" diameter and around 7" long. Also have a look at Machine Mart as they have a bigger range.

The best answer for an electric one would be to buy a Trend T3 router as the base can be removed so you can use it as a grinder as well as a small router :D

Jason

What about the Fein Multimaster? Its got lots of useful gadgets and its pretty easy to use in confined spaces?

T

JasonB":83w9lxmv said:
die grinder

Jason I had a lookat the die grinder but its an air tool and what I'm after is the elecerickery one.

Tim":83w9lxmv said:
What about the Fein Multimaster?

Tim, I'm afriad that tis is too big to get into some of the spots.

I guess another option would be to buy the small dremel grinding wheels and attach them to a drill, but that would mean I won't buy another tool.

Martin is taking me shopping to Axminster on Thursday (already feel an overdraft coming on) so I'll have some hands on before I buy.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, much appreciated.

Did you look at the T3, scroll down to applications where they show it being used as a grinder.

Jason

I hesitate to post because so many people are dissing the poor little Dremel (bullies! :) ), but I've had one and used it happily for years. It's cut through seized nuts, it's engraved glasses and it's done various miniature woodworking tasks. I like my Dremel enormously and there are times when I'm very relieved to have one available.

There may be better alternatives available, but that doesn't mean the Dremel should be completely disregarded.

Gill (Dremel Defence League)

Back