Dremel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Scrollers. There has not been any activity on here for a while so I thought I would share something I found very useful in my scroll saw work. As many of you know, Everything I make I sell at craft fairs. One of the problems I have always had is the appearance and peoples first impressions with the various items I display. Everything used to have a sharp square edge to it and there were several items I wanted to put a round on rather than have the square edge so I bought a dremel and a dremel router table along with rounding over bits. I was in some doubt initially if it would cope with various hardwoods but all my fears went when I first tried it, there is ample power and it gives an excellent finish. I had toyed with the idea of getting a full sized router table but I am glad now I went for the dremel. For things like coasters and trivets etc it greatly enhances the appearance.

Hi Steve.

Yes, it works well with letters, I have just done some 5inch letters in Ash and Beech where several bits are cut out within the letter and then ran the letter on the dremel router table on the outside edge, it is amazing, adds so much more overall appeal.

I do have loads of things I have used on the Dremel but I just cannot seem to upload photos onto this forum. I will gladly e-mail photos to anyone interested though.

Hi Geoff. I've been looking at buying a router table to round off the edges of the things I make and had considered the Dremel set-up but having read the poor write-ups for the table accessory I haven't bought anything. I have to say I like the sound of the Dremel (due to lack of space) and if you are having success with it then I think I may just go ahead and buy one. Just a quick question, how are you getting on with your Hegner?
Roy

hello Roy
i used to live at underwood at go mathew holland school when i was a lad, not been back there for some time even though its only 20 mins from where i live now..

Hi Roy. I also had fears that the dremel would not be up to the job but I am really pleased with it, even on the hardest hardwoods it does not grumble. If I had one gripe it would be the rounding over cutters. They have a pin and I would like to see one with a roller as the pin does leave a slight mark behind it but then it just needs a light sanding to get rid of it. I will e-mail you some pics later Steve, got guest arriving any minute.

Nearly forgot Roy. I had to put the hegner on hold, had a load of bills come in and then put petrol in the car instead of diesel and it cost a fortune to put things right. Not long to go now though, nearly there.

Hi Geoff. Thanks for the info. I think the Dremel will have be my next purchase as I just don't have the room for a router table......Pity about the petrol into a diesel car, it's an easy mistake to make. Let me know how the Hegner goes when you buy it please.
Steve Selston doesn't change except Mathew Holland is now Selston Arts Acadamy....
Roy

Back