Dremel mini chuck size

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have a Dremel 400 as well as a cheapie type rotary tool

I wanted a mini chuck for the Dremel just for the odd occasion I want to use a fine drill freehand with scroll saw work ( I usually use a drill press)

So I went online, and found there appears to be two sizes, 7mm and 8mm

The Dremel is 7mm so ordered one sold as 7mm, but found it was actually an 8mm, that fits my cheapie rotary tool so asked if they could supply the correct 7mm chuck, but no

So ordered from another supplier, advertised as 7mm, on receiving I find it doesn't fit as it seems to small (or is cross threaded, I don't want to force it) , its approx 6mm ID as is the nut used on the collets

Has anyone else ordered one of these mini chucks for a Dremel and found one that fits ?

Just wondering if I have had bad luck and its a faulty one or ?

They are advertised as the same as the Dremel 4486 chuck to fit most Dremels except the 4200

I have a Dremel 300 and bought a standard pattern keyless type chuck, can't remember the size range it takes but I use nothing else now as it takes the smallest drill bits as well as normal burrs.

i'm pretty sure mine is genuine Dremel but just googled quickly and it's like this cheapie.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-Multipr ... 0107&psc=1

EDIT: Bu**ger, disregard the above I've just realised it's the same part number. #-o

Edit 2:
Just checked mine and it screws on and off the shaft very easily. I bought it at the same time as the Dremel from Homebase who were selling them off so certain it was a genuine accessory. If yours is a cheapie not worth sending back maybe you could run a tap down the chuck thread?

Thanks for your input

That is the oddity, depending on where you look its 7mm or 8mm for the 4486 and it seems I have both and neither fit

I have a very old (2002) mains Dremel, model "Professional, 398". It came with both a "multi chuck" and a collet set with 3 inserts as standard in a complete package. The multi chuck is said to go from nil to 3.2mm dia (same as the biggest collet insert) and the threaded portion of the drive spindle on my tool measures 6.9 mm across the peaks of the threads (so I guess it's officially 7 mm).

Just FYI, I've comfortably used drill bits in mine from much smaller dia than 1 mm up to 3 mm dias quite comfortably

Sorry to say that both the multi chuck and collet are quite well described in the Handbook but in mine anyway, NO Part Numbers are given!

However I did buy a genuine Dremel replacement multi chuck from one of my local DIY supermarket chains fairly recently so if you can find a Dremel dealer nearby you shouldn't have any problems I guess.

If no luck locally then the details given on my Dremel Handbook are:

Dremel
PO 1468 Racine
WI 53408-1468

Tel: +1 800 437 3635

Web: http://www.dremel.com

I guess they can at least steer you towards your nearest retail dealer AND give you the proper Part Number.

HTH

Edit for a P.S. Looking at the construction of the chuck (removed from tool) it would NOT be possible to use a tap - there's a "tube" running right through the centre of the chuck so you couldn't get a tap to engage on the thread.

Thanks for yours

Its one of those situations where you don't want to spend a great deal so opt for a cheapie option

Item listed (half the price of a Dremel 4486) although described as fitting all Dremels except the 4200, was found to be 8mm, which fitted my cheapie rotary tool (I didn't mind keeping that as it was useful for the cheapie tool) and yes it fits all drills quite easily

So tried for an item specifically described as the 7mm version, it was also quoting the Dremel part number of 4486

(there are only two sizes right ;-)

And that ones to small

I had already checked the Dremel site, which I have to say is as much use as the proverbial chocolate teapot ! and no chuck listed for a 400, just the 4486 with no fitment list

I have been searching my bits boxes for a bolt that fits the collet nut so I can compare but darned if I can find one, so tapping the 2nd chuck is an option, if I had any taps of course ;-)

Hard work for one small item

Understood whatknot. I can only add that the multi chuck I bought as a replacement fairly recently was not an expensive item - less than equivalent of 10 quid if I remember correctly.

If you like I could happily buy one for you locally and send it to you by post, but it does seem a bit of a faffle for something "simple" like that. Haven't you got a Dremel dealer anywhere near you?

Many thanks for the offer but that is not necessary, but thanks anyway

There are Dremel sellers 20 / 30 miles away but the dealers that come up on the Dremel site (mainly Homebase) won't have a clue about the product itself, and the one I have is now obsolete (400 digital)

I will just have to hunt down either a bolt to double check the thread or take the Dremel with with me next I go that far, I won't be able to check the Dremel type as they are all sealed on a card

Although the 400 is listed in the ones that are all the same, I am wondering if the information is incorrect and its the same as the 4200 which is noted as being different to all others

Its not the end of the world as I have the cheapie rotary I can use for the time being

Thanks for your input

OK, but if you do have a dealer near-ish to you, you don't have to rely on their (lack of) product knowledge. Just take your drill with you the next time you go to that town, and try a new chuck on your drill.

If they're like here, the chuck will probably be packed in one of those (I find rather annoying) plastic bubble packs, but just cut it open and try it. IF by any chance it doesn't fit take the bubble pack to the cashier and get her to tape it up again - " there's no info about my drill on the back of the pack so I had to cut it open to try it". They don't really like that stuff - not here anyway, - but tough luck, that's one of the advantages of shopping in person rather than via the net.

But I expect that it will fit - normally manufacturers don't go to the trouble of tooling up for a new accessory like a chuck when - most probably - all they've done is "re-style" the casings of the latest model drills.

Anyway, good luck.

Back