Dream kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kityuser

Established Member
Reaction score
if the dream-like scenario ever happened where-by you were to win the lottery or be given X number of thousand pounds, what kit would you choose to fit out your new workshop?

personally i know people seem to dislike dewalt as a general rule, but at the ali-pali show i saw the gorgeous dewalt table saw with all the attachments..................... one day, one day

Well I've never thought about it but at a guess I would get Sceppach HMS260 P/T, Basato 5-2 bandsaw and a startrite tablesaw :) :p :D

Don't start!

I could write a very long list. I guess I could have pretty much anything. I like - so that would be alot.

I think the DeWALT large table saw looks good. It's the closets thing we have in the UK toan american style 'Cabinet' saw.

If I won the lottery I'd give all my tools away knock the garage down, rebulid it with one twice the size, buy a new Merc. and put THAT in the garage!!!!!!

Then I wouldnt have to spend alot of my waking hours panicking about how long its going to take to get the next job out or worrying when the phones going to ring with someone asking "whens the so and so going to be ready because I've got a customer waiting to see it" and " I thought you said it would be ready last week"

What a blissful thought!!!!

Only joking?

If that scenario came true for me I'd build an new workshop and equip it with wadkin gear, old fashioned but great stuff

Drew

Matsro

I'd give it about a fortnight before you were climbing the walls and twitching to get back on the tools.

:wink:
all the best

Drew

Drew,

Ummmm wanna bet!

I've got a bit of a love hate relationship with this wood thing.

I think climbing up the walls from boredom is sometimes far preferable to climbing up the walls from sheer frustration due to working on some of the jobs that come my way!

Actually, yes I think your'e probally right though! I wonder if I ever get the chance to find out.

Hi Matsro,

I think you talked for us all at times when you said about the love/hate relationship with wood.
About the frustration factor, I was once told being your own boss was worth a fortune to you, the only thing that mucked it up was having customers.

An old joiner friend of mine experienced it once. His customer wanted an entrance doorway made. Central door, lights either side with exterior security wooden slats spaced across them lights. He insisted it had to made of mahogany (sighs for the days when good mahogany was available) :) . My friend made it and went and fitted the job, all the screws were plugged no fastenings showed, lovely job. When he went to get paid for the job the customer had painted it black.

all the best

Drew

at the wood yard (where i used to do part time work), we used to do chestnut copising (spelt wrong!!!) ie cropping of chestnut woodland for the production of chestnut paling fencing.

....anyhow, a large order came in for 300 odd metres of chestnut diamond fencing (rustic diamond trellis). SO we spent 2 weeks in the wood cutting the timber, and it took 3 weeks to manufacture the fencing.
The fence was errected, looked lovely (errection took about a week), the customer descided he would`nt pay because he was having "domestic problems" getting the money. We went back 6 months later after receiving no money and cut it all down with chain-saws........... what a waste!

i bet this is`nt the worst story about, but it opened my eyes a bit!

I think its the complexity of the work sometimes coupled with time restraints that do my head in rather than "silly person customers"

I think after a while you tend to triple check with customers as to what they want or more to the point , expect. Ambiguity is the worst thing.You say one thing and they think you mean something totally different, the worst time to realise this when the jobs done and you want the money!

I'm fortunate in the ambiguity aspect now. Before I start a job I have a drawing or design to show the customer. Then it's down to the best of three falls, submission or a knock out to thrash out the details. Some customers don't even really know what they want, they just know that they want it.
But I learnt my lesson a while ago about timing the job and put my foot down. Nowdays I tell them there is a waiting list, take a deposit and tell them I'll inform them when the job is started and allow them to call in and see it in progress.

Drew

You're a fortunate man, Drew; that's a nice way to work:

Of course, it only works if you're confident in your abilities :wink:

Pete

The ultimate way to work, is work out what gross hourly rate you need to earn to make the business pay. Then having quoted for the work keep time sheets for every job. When the jobs finished, add up the times recorded and multiply the total hours taken ,by the gross hourly rate. Add material costs and VAT if applicable and hope that the final total at least equals the quote given to the customer in the first place!!!

If the calculation adds up you've got a viable business ,if it doesn't you've got to work all hours of the day and evening or the business won't work!!

How many people transfer from hobby to viable business I wonder!

Very hard!!!!!!!

Hasbeen

I really do feel fortunate, I get paid for doing what I thoroughly enjoy.

Matstro

I'll admit to having to work some helluva long days and sometimes seven days a week (not often thank goodness). But as a one man band I kinda expect that from time to time. At other times it's glorious and I wouldn't call the king my cousin. Truth be told there are some jobs I do I can't believe the client is paying me, I enjoy it so much it should almost be the other way round (fat chance) :lol: . I still haven't got over the buzz I get when someone buys a piece I've done (and I hope I never will) :D . The best is getting repeat business because somebody knows your work and is happy with it.
I did the maths when I first started and providing everything goes to plan I hope to be in the slightly better than break even position this year with a decent springboard to do better next year.
Even if it doesn't I'll probably just keep on plugging away because just like everyone else who is self employed there's an optimism I just can't keep down.

All the best

Drew

Drew,

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that I reckon you're under 30 with not too much of a family to support?!

I certainly remember back to the early days when I was like you, its all a bit tainted now!!! I still get the enjoyment out of it all when things go right, but I think I regard it more as a means to earn a living than a vocation nowadays. I'm a Restorer by the way so things are not quite the same as you. I think with making things from scratch theres a lot more satisfaction from creating something from nothing AND getting paid for it!

If I was to diversify a bit I would go into making. I like the idea that there are so many machines etc around now that if you're clever you can eliminate alot of hand work which in turns speeds up production quite alot.
One thing I would find a bit offputting is the using of solid timbers which then go into centrally heated homes and subsequently move around.
Having said that I know in theory that if you use correct constructural methods this would be less likely to happen!

You obviously enjoy what you do.....very much! I'm very envious!!!

PS If you're semi retired and aged about 58 and all the kids are left home and the mortage is paid off, sorry to get you wrong! Wow then I really would be envious!!!!!!!!!

Regards

Matstro
you are right about family but wrong on the age - late forties.

Why don't you treat yourself and do some making, with the skills of a restorer at your fingertips (literally), it should be childs play to get down to some serious making. If you could make the time you could always do the occasional one off piece for sale to receptive clients.

all the best

Drew

Back