Drawerside ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to build a fair number of drawers for a project. They are more functional than aesthetic ie for files and other utilitarian needs. It makes sense to build the drawers out of ply and then face them with something more attractive.

I have never used drawerside ply but have seen it in listings etc. What is so specific/ special about this stuff vs 12mm birch ply? The 12mm Gaboon draweside ply is about the same price but the 11.1mm Tropical is a lot cheaper.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tim

It's usually a 5 ply construction, three inner layers of 3mm with the two outer layers 1mm thick. Has less voids & defects than your standard far eastern ply. A little nore splintery than birch.

Jason

Thanks Jason.

So in reality not much point vs birch - not as good for a reasonably minor cost saving?

Cheers

Tim

Isn't drawerside ply also supposed to have the grain orientated in the same direction on each ply? So you dont get the mixed grain directions on the edge and get a nicer looking edge for the drawer.

Gav

Not as far as I know, if all the layers went the same way you would end up with flexiply.

Jason

Gav is correct. Drawerside ply does have all the plies in the same direction. Made in nominal 1/2 inch or 12mm these days I guess. It's stiff enough.

I've certainly got draws that are made from 11mm drawside ply where the layers run in oposite directions, maybe you can get both.

Jason

Jason,
I guess so. I was going by memory of stuff I have seen (never actually used it myself) and how it is defined in a book I have (Collins Complete Woodworker's Manual).

I have now been prompted to get off my butt and go and examine a desk we have that was bought a few years ago. Its drawers are of ply but the alternating variety as you suggest.

In the Eden's catalogue, drawerside ply is described as unidirectional which would make sense. What put me off adding a sheet to a large order delivered tomorrow was the rep's comments - we hardly sell any, its the smae price as birch ply and it seems a lot more splintery.

Makes sense to me just to use 12mm birch ply and at least then its a known quantity.

Cheers

Tim

Back