drawers within walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'll try to explain what I'll have to do to finish my own kitchen .
I have built some small "walls" 30 inches high, on which I'll put a flat surface of marble to use as "work table".
Between two of these small walls I should build a pile of drawers, but I don't know how to proceed.
I thought to stick on both sides some guides for each drawer.

Do you have ideas?

Hi Gabriele

Can you tell us a little more? Is the wall 'freestanding'...ie you have access to it from both sides? How deep is the wall? And how wide?

Ciao

Roger

Roger Sinden":2hpihgjr said:
Hi Gabriele

Can you tell us a little more? Is the wall 'freestanding'...ie you have access to it from both sides? How deep is the wall? And how wide?

Ciao

Roger

Hi Roger,

the two "small walls" are, how I said before, 85 cm high and are built agaist the main kitchen room wall. I have only access through the front side. The deep is about 60 cm and the total opening is about 40 cm.
Mine is like this but it isn't angled:

cucina_10.2000.jpg

Gabriele,

I would probably build a complete drawer unit (a box with drawers in it) to do this.

To make the drawers work you need the 2 side runners to be exactly paralell otherwise the drawer will stick, and I think this might be difficult if you just stick the runners onto the walls.

Les

Les Mahon":mpwo997d said:
... and I think this might be difficult if you just stick the runners onto the walls.

Les

Hi Les,

I known that it could be been difficult about the alignment, it was only to earn more free space in width.
I wanted only the confirmation from the forum.
I think I'll do a frame with the guides.
However advices are welcome.

Hi All,

another advice..

How would have be the minimal width of the drawer sides? I intend to say the "minimal" to have the maximal space within the drawer.
For the frame on which I'll stick the runners, I thought to make a box of plywood of about 1 cm.
Is it true?

Gabriele

I think that 1cm thick will be fine. I agree with Les and suggest that you make the drawers freestanding first..as a box with a back to it..then fit runners or whatever to the sides. That way you know that the box will be all square. If you try to fit panels to the insides of the walls...the chances are that the walls won't be square ..which means that your panels won't be either..which means your drawers will stick in the runners etc.

You also need to decide how you're going to make the drawers. If you fit a false front to the drawers then you can make these slightly oversize and this can then span across the width of the box carcass, gap between carcass and wall and part of the wall itself. How much you decide to overhang is a personal choice.

When fixing the box carcass inside the walls...IF (a big if) you are never going to want to remove it then the easiest way IMHO to secure it inside the walls is to use a small quantity of expanding foam at the back, underneath the carcass and between carcass wall and the wall. Don't use too much otherwise if the foam has nowehere to expand to then it might distort your box carcass walls slightly....although the risk is minimal.

Dry fit the box carcass first before you apply the foam
:wink:

Roger

Roger Sinden":27lniw5q said:
....... If you fit a false front to the drawers then you can make these slightly oversize and this can then span across the width of the box carcass, gap between carcass and wall and part of the wall itself. ...........
Roger

Hi Roger,

many thanks for the advices. By my little experience about woodworking I'll choose with solution with false front because I am not sure I built the walls perpendicular :roll:

Back