Drawers :S

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all,
most of you will have seen the great british woodshop and i expect alot will have seen the coffee table project (with that pop up top)

well i wont be having the pop up top but i will be putting some drawers in the longest side.

BUT....how do i actually do this? i want to use the modern rollers but after my last attempt at a draw i think it would be wise to get some advice!

oh and i would like to say that it is the actual frame that i need help with and not the drawers (i hope)

Thanks

Tom

I've put drawers (with modern drawer slides) in cabinets, but need a clearer idea of what you are trying to do in order to offer any advice. I haven't seenthe programme you refer to
John

well ive done a quick sketch:

thomaskennedy-coffeetable.JPG

as you can see there is now 3 drawers but they are all suppose to be equal :oops: :p

hope this helps!

Tom

Easy enough to do, what you need to do is mount the cabinet part of the slides on dividers between the drawers. The drawers will need to have false fronts. Make the drawer boxes so they fit the spaces between the dividers, and so that the front of the box is inset by the thickness of the applied front. Then, cut the fronts so that they will overlap the dividers
You were always going to have to have false fronts to hide the slides anyway
Hope this is clear
John

thanks john,

just to be clear is this what i should do (very basic english im tired!)

make a box with dividers and mount it to, say the underside of the top-to fit in between the legs,
then make the draws to fit nicely! :p and then attatch the false front!

please correct me if i am wrong!!

Thanks a bunch

Tom

heres another sketch (scanner cut some of it off though)

this is what i THINK !!

thomaskennedy-thing.JPG

you can hardly read the writing so here is a list of the words on there!!! :p

underside
false front
"box"
drawers
legs
dividers
- - - = attatch
The "box" !
drawer
false front!

Tell me if you cant read anything else!

Tom

thomaskennedy":3w1qh080 said:
make a box with dividers and mount it to, say the underside of the top-to fit in between the legs,
then make the draws to fit nicely! :p and then attatch the false front!

That about sums it up. Obviously you will want to be sure that the box will impart enough stiffness to the overall structure.
When sketching have you tried using the Paint program that comes with MS Windows? I use it a lot, with a bit of practice it's great for designing furniture. Not much good for isometric projections and curves but otherwise very useful
John

Back