Drawer Runners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
I will be requiring a large amount of drawer runners for the revamp of my shed but not really sure where they go.

1) Would they go on the sides of the drawer or are they attached to the panels?
2) Do they go near the bottom, middle or top of the drawers?
3) If using plastic runners is it ok to cut them shorter as they all seem to be appx 12"?
4) is it cheaper to make my own or get something like these Home Fittings 10 Pairs of White Plastic drawer runners with screws for furniture: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home ?
5) If making my own would I need to round the off the edges?
6) If making my own could I use ply?
7) If making my own how thick should they be?

Sorry if the questions sound dumb but I am forward planning and trying to minimise any potential snags later on.

Gary

Last edited:
1) Typically, the runners are attached to the cabinet and the drawers are grooved on the sides to slot over the runners.
2) Wherever you fancy really, whenever you put them they're taking the same amount of load but usually they're placed in the middle.
3) No reason why not.
4) I'd personally use strips of timber which is cheaper, you can wax the runners and the groove in the drawers for slippery and effortless opening and shutting.
5) Not necessarily, doesn't hurt to have a little round but there really isn't much need for it.
6) You can, but I'd rather stick to solid timber with the grain running along the length of the runner, plywood (particularly the cheap Chinese and Indian stuff) can de-laminate especially on smaller sections.
7) Say you've grooved the sides of the drawers about halfway through the thickness, you'd want the runners to slightly thinner than the depth of the groove so there is no chance of binding and smaller than the width of the groove so there's room for any expansion and contraction.

1) Typically, the runners are attached to the cabinet and the drawers are grooved on the sides to slot over the runners.
2) Wherever you fancy really, whenever you put them they're taking the same amount of load but usually they're placed in the middle.
3) No reason why not.
4) I'd personally use strips of timber which is cheaper, you can wax the runners and the groove in the drawers for slippery and effortless opening and shutting.
5) Not necessarily, doesn't hurt to have a little round but there really isn't much need for it.
6) You can, but I'd rather stick to solid timber with the grain running along the length of the runner, plywood (particularly the cheap Chinese and Indian stuff) can de-laminate especially on smaller sections.
7) Say you've grooved the sides of the drawers about halfway through the thickness, you'd want the runners to slightly thinner than the depth of the groove so there is no chance of binding and smaller than the width of the groove so there's room for any expansion and contraction.

Many thanks

4) The Amazon runners look to be good value, unless you have time and hardwood off cuts.
6) use a hardwood that is hard (not balsa:giggle:). Plywood is a bad choice as the bearing surface will wear in time and expose a surface that has the wrong orientation and it is often made from softer wood

Back