Drawer fronts.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxie

Established Member
Reaction score
I am making a multi drawer jewellery cabinet and stuck as to how to join the drawer fronts to the sides. The largest drawer is 2 1/2 deep by 7 ins. and 1/2 thick the sides will be about 3/8., and they are inset. The obvious joint is the stopped dovetail (I think that's the right phrase) but they would be rather small and I am not sure I have the skill!
Could someone suggest another joint. I have looked in Joyce's book and he shows a joint that could be done using a router, a sort of groove and tongue, discuss!!

Any help would be most welcome

John

What about a dowelled version of the domidrawer?

Sorry on phone so can't link easily, but it is a pinned rebate joint. Plenty strong enough for a jewellery box.

Thank you tyreman I gave it a try and as you say not too difficult.

I looked at Paul Sellars and followed his tutorial with a couple of refinements. I used "blue" tape on the drawer front as it made it easier to see the lines on dark wood. I removed the portion of tape in the section of wood that needed to be removed. I did see another YouTube where the presenter used an old cabinet scraper to "cut" down the saw kerf at the back of the dovetail. It made it easier to clean out the back corners. Done two sides, so far so good.

Thanks again

John

Roxie":2b7wjlu1 said:
The largest drawer is 2 1/2 deep by 7 ins. and 1/2 thick the sides will be about 3/8., and they are inset. The obvious joint is the stopped dovetail (I think that's the right phrase) but they would be rather small and I am not sure I have the skill!
Any help would be most welcome

John

2.5" or about 63mm in 'new money' isn't too bad for a set of two dovetails. My suggestion would be to find some decent softwood (look for pine with tightly spaced annual rings..it's out there, but you'll need to look for it) and make a few practice joints. They're not too difficult and the the 'blue tape' tip is a good one - Rob

katellwood":1gosjnj7 said:
why not cut a through dovetail then glue a piece on the face to form what would appear at a glance to be a lap dovetail.

I have tried that myself just for the heck of it on a box for the shop. It was OK, but flattening the two mating faces took a little time.

John (hammer)

Back