Drawer construction Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbyshop

Established Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of making my first workbench and intend to include drawers below the bench for storage.

I am new to this and would like some advice on the drawer construction please.

I am trying as far as possible to make the bench from materials left over from the workshop build and the drawer sides, front and back are being made with 11mm and 18mm ply.
I have bought some 9mm MDF for the drawer bottoms.
I have seen a number of sites online where they have glued the drawer bottoms in place when using man made boards for the drawer construction, but I am aware that drawer bottoms are normally left loose to allow for movement when using wood for the drawer sides.

These drawers will be 700mm wide and 500mm deep. Bearing in mind the use of ply and MDF, am I okay to glue the bottoms in place, or should they still be left loose?

Hi, Kevin

The MDF won't move much you will be able to glue them in, how are you joining the front and back to the sides?

Pete

Glue and screw if possible, Ply sides won't move and ply bases won't move so make as strong as possible.
Only solid wood drawer bottoms need to be left loose to move although I like to polish the insides of drawers so leave loose to screw on after.

Racers":3p7h9tcg said:
Hi, Kevin

The MDF won't move much you will be able to glue them in, how are you joining the front and back to the sides?

Pete

Thanks Pete and Chris

The front is attached to the sides with a "Lock-Rabbet" or "Drawer Lock" joint (Not sure of the correct terminology as I am just picking things up from research online).
I am attaching the back to the sides with biscuits.

Hi, Kevin

I have made draws with biscuits all round and they are holding up well, one is 300mm tall 1000mm wide and 600mm deep 12mm birch ply with 6mm bottoms. They are for clothes but some 400mm wide ones are full of DVDs.

Pete

Racers":4k689yh5 said:
Hi, Kevin

I have made draws with biscuits all round and they are holding up well, one is 300mm tall 1000mm wide and 600mm deep 12mm birch ply with 6mm bottoms. They are for clothes but some 400mm wide ones are full of DVDs.

Pete

Thanks Pete.
Yes I am fairly happy with the rest of the construction, and gluing the bottom in place should add quite a bit of extra strength too.

Back