Drawer and box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Completed my latest box except for finish which will be applied in a few weeks time to give the timber time to settle down. Screw for the hinges sorted themselves out but had a calamity when cutting the hinge mortices, the back side of the mortice went belly up and split through the timber edge. So I had to take off around 5mm off the back edge of lid and lost my overhang at the front of the box lid..

The lady says she doesn't know what she is going to put in it yet, if she doesn't make up her mind soon I'l take it in the workshop and store the sandpaper :)

drawerbox1w.jpg

drawerboxw2.jpg

Looks great, DW :) It'll look stunning with the finish on.

What wood? And were the dovetails handcut?

PeteW
The dovetails were definately hand done. the front piece dovetails to lid area was more like hand carving. :) (because of a rabbet to shelf. )
Timber: Sycamore again with ply shelf and base. Sycamore moulding added to ply base.
One length of sawn sycamore left, and about 30 pieces of rubbish in the offcut bin. :(

Wonderful DW!

That's a wonderful design and I really like the drawer handle. If you don't mind, I think I'll make one for my wife like that.

Mike

That's really sweet. How are you going to finish it? I reckon a light stain would work a treat.

Gill

Thanks all for compliments, finishing will be done to match earlier five drawer embroidery box, a coating of shellac which slightly darkend the timber and then a wax polish to keep the lady busy.

In the meantime another box has been started because the earlier 5 drawer design proved insufficient to carry all the ladies silks. So going to post a new thread of a 13 drawer embroidery box.

Back