Drawer #2 - the skeleton drawer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
UnderbenchCabinetBehindDrawer1_html_m5a0ab82.jpg

Here is the second drawer to be filled ...

1.jpg

Why "Skeleton Drawer"? Well, it does not contain dark secrets, buried bodies, or other clandestine material :D

It is just the name I have given to the drawer design since, unlike Drawer #1, which hid a jewellery layer, this discloses all from the outset.

The drawer holds my Kiyohisa chisels: paring slicks and bench oire nomi. It is important to be able to find, and extract them easily when working at the bench.

The paring chisels lie in the upper level ...

2.jpg

These slide into the cabinet and, below, are the oire nomi (3mm through 30mm) ...

3.jpg

There are two others at the rear, a second 30mm and a 36mm ...

4.jpg

This is a clearer presentation ...

6.jpg

The chisels lie on shaped rests. The blades lie on rare earth magnets, which prevent them moving from the rests when the drawer is opened and shut, or the top layer extended into the cabinet ...

5.jpg

The wood used for the rests and the slide is West Australian Sheoak ...

7.jpg

The rear of the drawer, the drawer back, has been cut away above the second dovetail. This is how the the top layer slides into the cabinet ...

8.jpg

I trust you are finding this fun as well :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Fun, interesting, inspiring and a number of other adjectives all of them laudatory.
Regards from a locked down and rather cool South of France,

Mike

Back