draw knife

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madog

Reaction score
Hi everyone , iam looking to buy a new draw knife for shaping axe handles to fit the head. Any advice/recommendations.
Cheers

Aye was looking at older ones but iam not v handy lol. Think I need to buy new. Seen those ones, cheers

I agree with marcros on looking for a used drawknife. There are no moving parts, and a new drawknife will eventually need sharpening, so I would look for one with good handles and a blade with enough material left to sharpen.

it isnt a job I have done, but I am not sure whether I would use the small drawknife that I have (but can't find a link for) or a spokeshave. I think I would rather use the latter, but that may be completely wrong.

I agree with marcros on looking for a used drawknife. There are no moving parts, and a new drawknife will eventually need sharpening, so I would look for one with good handles and a blade with enough material left to sharpen.
cheers ill defo consider that

it isnt a job I have done, but I am not sure whether I would use the small drawknife that I have (but can't find a link for) or a spokeshave. I think I would rather use the latter, but that may be completely wrong.
aye, was looking at spokeshaves too cheers

It is a shame that the current circumstances make it even harder to try before you buy. A lot of personal taste involved. I tried a new Crown drawknife and disliked it, clumsy feeling thing, engineered rather than forged. I have 3, a Ward Sheffield made one, an American one, and a French type from Goldenberg. I like the French one best, a very subtle tool. I am embarrassed to admit I like the Ward one least; but mostly because it is too large for my purposes.

Whether you need a drawknife or a spokeshave depends on the size of the axe, whether you have a shave horse, and your patience. The general rule of removing as much material as possible with the most aggressive tool before moving on applies - axe, drawknife, spokeshave.

It is a shame that the current circumstances make it even harder to try before you buy. A lot of personal taste involved. I tried a new Crown drawknife and disliked it, clumsy feeling thing, engineered rather than forged. I have 3, a Ward Sheffield made one, an American one, and a French type from Goldenberg. I like the French one best, a very subtle tool. I am embarrassed to admit I like the Ward one least; but mostly because it is too large for my purposes.

Whether you need a drawknife or a spokeshave depends on the size of the axe, whether you have a shave horse, and your patience. The general rule of removing as much material as possible with the most aggressive tool before moving on applies - axe, drawknife, spokeshave.
cheers pal , i managed to get a set of three vintage spokeshaves yesterday so looking forward to using them when the arrive

Latest posts

Back