Draper Tilt and Clamp workbench - mini-review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
This particular item redefines the phrase 'you get what you pay for' and the word 'mediocrity'.

My reference for a workbench/workmate device is my original cast alloy B&D original workmate and which is still goiong strong after 20 (?) years.

I needed something similar for the flat refurbishment and saw the Draper on offer at half price (c.£30). The jaws don't clamp simply because they rack in every conceivable direction. They flex upwards, they flex sideways, they flex in every direction. Trying to clamp something is an exercise in futility.

Avoid.

Hi Roger

I'd avoid not only the bench, but also the place where you bought it. Half price was around £30 :eek: ? That's toward the upper range of normal prices that I've been able to find on the internet. I hope the retailer isn't selling all his tools at about twice the going rate.

When I saw the bench, my reaction was to wonder what sort of quality I'd expect to get for about £20-30 anyway.

Gill

Gill":3cpo2fp6 said:
Hi Roger

When I saw the bench, my reaction was to wonder what sort of quality I'd expect to get for about £20-30 anyway.

Gill

I agree with you...possible that the unit is now reduced everywhere to this price...have to confess that I was basing my judgment call on a price of £60...ah well...caveat emptor and at least it does give some working surface!

Sorry...my fault if I've misled folks...I wasn't looking for a replacement for my trusty workmate per se...just that it won't fit in my luggage-capacity challenged car...and also since it's my only bench in the workshop at the moment :oops: :oops: :oops: I wanted to keep it there rather than in London.

The Draper was meant to be a cheapie stand-in.

Back