Draper Router Collets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralphus16

Reaction score
Hi,
Complete novice here so apologies in advance for any stupid questions.

I bought a second hand Draper Router (67985) from fleabay.

The manual says it comes with 1/4", 8mm and 6mm collet nuts.

It currently has the 6mm fitted and obviously didn't come with any others.

My question is, are Collets brand/model specific or are they universal?

Cheers

They are often specific, but you could always try Draper Tools, who are in the Southampton area or failing them maybe Solent Tools (same area). Unless you can confirm that the collets are identical to those from another model it isn't a good idea to substitute any old collet.

It currently has the 6mm fitted and obviously didn't come with any others.

Are you sure its 6mm? 1/4" is only .35 of a mm different, so hard to measure without calipers.... but 1/4" is the most common of the 3 sizes for router bits, so you can survive easily with a 1/4".

If you have any router bits to test it with, a correctly fitting bit will slide into the collett and have a TINY amount of play, hardly none. A 1/4 bit isnt likely to go into a 6mm collet.

They are often specific, but you could always try Draper Tools, who are in the Southampton area or failing them maybe Solent Tools (same area). Unless you can confirm that the collets are identical to those from another model it isn't a good idea to substitute any old collet.
I managed to find the Part No. in the manual and Google helped me find somewhere selling the 8mm collet.

Are you sure its 6mm? 1/4" is only .35 of a mm different, so hard to measure without calipers.... but 1/4" is the most common of the 3 sizes for router bits, so you can survive easily with a 1/4".

If you have any router bits to test it with, a correctly fitting bit will slide into the collett and have a TINY amount of play, hardly none. A 1/4 bit isnt likely to go into a 6mm collet.

Thanks for this, I went back to the seller and they hve confirmed that they were using 1/4" bits in it so I just need to pull the trigger on some bits now.

Thanks for your help

Latest posts

Back