Draper Expert Magnum 1000

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Surname or what ?

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Phil

When I saw your post I immediately thought I'd point you in the direction of mine but see you beat me to it! Since the original post the workbench has gone from bad to worse and is the worst bit if tat I've ever bought. OK - it was reduced in price but at an original purchase price of over £50 it's pants.

Unless I could try out the bench to see how badly the jaws racked or clamped then I would stay well clear IMHO. Mind you if someone out there has one and says that its' the bees knees then fair enough. Mine, as I say, is junk.

Roger

Having just watched the DVD I can see why you're tempted. £135-00 isn't really that steep considering how much the original work mate cost.

However we all seem to expect more for less these days. I bought two work benches from my local Focus to use with sheet material for less that £10-00 each.

If it does exactly as it says on the tin I would consider it to be worth the money but do they ever?

Oh alright apart from Festool.

Gary

I have an original Workmate (made by Ron Hickman's firm Mate Tools that he set up when he couldn't find any tool manufacturer interested in the idea) which I bought in 1970 or 1971. It's still going strong. One of its best features (apart from its solid, thick beech top and quality of construction) is its adjustable foot so that it doesn't wobble on an uneven floor.

I also have two workmate clones, a Richmond and a cheapo Black & Decker. The most infuriating thing about them is the lack of an adjustable foot. It's such a pity that most of the manufacturers of workmate clones have reduced the original brilliant idea to a pretty inferior product :(

Paul

I watched the DVD last night after seeing the demo at Ally Pally and i am being seduced by the dark side as well...Has anyone actually brought one of these, and used it in anger?

Latest posts

Back