Draper BS305 Bandsaw upper guide assembly availability or alternatives and blade advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy A

Reaction score
Hi all, I've just acquired a Draper BS305 band saw (stock number 61630), only thing is the seller "forgot" to mention that it was missing the upper blade guide assembly, but I'm a mug for a project and a swift negotiation saw it in the back of the car cheaper than a budgie, the only problem being that after scouring the interwebs I can't find a direct replacement, and with this being my first bandsaw I'm clueless as to what alternatives are out there that will fit, I have contacted Draper, but no reply as yet, and as it's the weekend I wanted to play with my new toy, so if anyone has any comments, suggestions or advice I'm all ears.

Also I've been looking at replacement blades, and much confusion has ensued, primarily it will be used for resizing/ripping hardwoods and the odd bit of pine, but I'd also like to be able to use it for a bit of freehand work, again on hard and softwoods, as opposed to sheet materials which I don't use so much, and perspex sheet when the need arises, could anyone suggest a decent, reasonably priced manufacturer/supplier (it's very subjective I know), I did have a little play last night without a top guide and with a blade with less teeth than my grandmother on a bit of ash and it was interesting to say the least :ROFLMAO:

Sorry for the long brain picking first post, any comments appreciated, Andy

Hello Andy
Might be worth looking to see what aximinster have to offer.
They will make blades for you if not in stock.
Not sure if they supply thin gauge blades though,(narrow kerf) this might be a better idea for your machine.
Tuffsaws is where you will find those.

Tom

Hello Andy
Might be worth looking to see what aximinster have to offer.
They will make blades for you if not in stock.
Not sure if they supply thin gauge blades though,(narrow kerf) this might be a better idea for your machine.
Tuffsaws is where you will find those.

Tom

Hi Tom, thanks for your reply and suggestions, much appreciated, I'll take a look and see what they both have to offer, Andy

I can't guarantee they can source parts, but, might be worth a call to Norfolk Saw Services in Norwich, NFS I know Steve was a "Record" Rep and they stock Charnwood machines (and Laguna) plus they have plenty of blades...

The very best bandsaw blades, made to any size, are with Tuffsaw. Ian Black will be happy to chat with you to discuss your needs and the blades will be better than you would have expected. A great service. They are in Wales, telephone 01443 819261. He is usually very busy, so keep calling until you get him and explain what you need. A very nice man to dael with, but so busy. e-mail [email protected] and website www.tuffsaws.co.uk

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, there's plenty there to get me going, and hopefully get the saw sorted, the Charnwood guide linked above looks interesting, or at least the mounting does, the whole thing looks like the later Drapers, so I'm guessing they're generic saws rebadged with a few different bits added (shoot me if I'm wrong ), which gives me some hope of finding something to fit without too much in the way of modification, trouble is that would leave me with a block type bottom guide, so I may as well get the lot on bearings while I'm at it, I've found a few kits listed by Axminster, so that's another option if the Charnwood parts won't work.

For blades it looks like Tuffsaws are the way to go as several people have mentioned them, I'll measure the kerf on the existing blade before giving them a shout, then all it needs (but in no desperate hurry right now) is a mitre gauge, and a new sticky measuring tape thingy for the fence as the old ones a bit hard to read, it would've probably been easier to walk away from this one, got my wallet out and purchase a new one, but hopefully I'll have it fully sorted this week and at a fraction of the cost, so that's a win, an added bonus is that the top height guide adjuster post thingy looks like I can trim it back to bring cutting depth up to 8.5 or 9", there's nowt like a free increase in capacity :LOL:

Hi all, I've just acquired a Draper BS305 band saw (stock number 61630), only thing is the seller "forgot" to mention that it was missing the upper blade guide assembly, but I'm a mug for a project and a swift negotiation saw it in the back of the car cheaper than a budgie, the only problem being that after scouring the interwebs I can't find a direct replacement, and with this being my first bandsaw I'm clueless as to what alternatives are out there that will fit, I have contacted Draper, but no reply as yet, and as it's the weekend I wanted to play with my new toy, so if anyone has any comments, suggestions or advice I'm all ears.

Also I've been looking at replacement blades, and much confusion has ensued, primarily it will be used for resizing/ripping hardwoods and the odd bit of pine, but I'd also like to be able to use it for a bit of freehand work, again on hard and softwoods, as opposed to sheet materials which I don't use so much, and perspex sheet when the need arises, could anyone suggest a decent, reasonably priced manufacturer/supplier (it's very subjective I know), I did have a little play last night without a top guide and with a blade with less teeth than my grandmother on a bit of ash and it was interesting to say the least :ROFLMAO:

Sorry for the long brain picking first post, any comments appreciated, Andy

Hi Andy. Did you ever get sorted out with a balde guide. I'm having the same problem.

Back