Draper Bandsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes, okay, but not the most accurate in terms of straight cuts, but probably as much my technique at fault... small and very useful, careful use allows for accurate freehand cuts, the fence though is less accurate...

wouldn't have one in the place.....
look for one second hand but better qual.....
the only thing that's Draper (in my tool kit) and usable is a squeegee grouting tool for tiles.....

Be interested to know what bandsaw folks use and what they think of it.

I have been looking at draper, record power and Axminster. All made in China of course. Don't know of any British made ones these days.

Dave, it may be worth doing a quick search for bandsaw reviews as it’s a question that gets asked quite often.

What sort of woodwork are you looking to use the machine for and what sort of budget are you considering?

I find many of the reviews I have seen on YouTube a bit frustrating with many of them connected to Amazon or other company sales.

I am really looking for reviews from crafts people that have been using bandsaws for many years.

People on a popular auction site seem to be paying a lot of money for, in some cases, machines that may be many years old.

I am looking for a machine that will last at least five to ten years with a depth of four or five inches and not be underpowered.

They all seem to come from China these days but which one?

Last edited:
Last edited:
4" or 5" depth of cut will require a floor standing machine, if the stock is any length at all.
That's if your looking at that thing on the bay.
Have you got the space for a floor standing machine?
There's a single phase axi machine for 600 squid on gumtree.
What's your budget?

'Italian' machines mentioned in the elsewhere deals section start at £745 for a Centauro CO600, bit large but a great machine.:cool:

(You might need to search for band saw, aswell as bandsaw to find them.)

Very difficult. I'm spoilt at work with industrial quality three phase machinery and have not had to work with lighter stuff before.

I think I'll still take a punt on the biggest one Clarke do if it comes on promo. They do VAT free offers which would push me over the edge. If when I open it up I don't like it I'll return it.

That is unless I spot a decent one on eBay.

4" or 5" depth of cut will require a floor standing machine, if the stock is any length at all.
That's if your looking at that thing on the bay.
Have you got the space for a floor standing machine?
There's a single phase axi machine for 600 squid on gumtree.
What's your budget?

'Italian' machines mentioned in the elsewhere deals section start at £745 for a Centauro CO600, bit large but a great machine.:cool:

(You might need to search for band saw, aswell as bandsaw to find them.)
May I ask what you use.

The main reason the older machines command such high prices is quality = longevity :) no reason why a 50 year old machine will not go on for another 50 if maintained.

I find many of the reviews I have seen on YouTube a bit frustrating with many of them connected to Amazon or other company sales.

I am really looking for reviews from crafts people that have been using bandsaws for many years.

People on a popular auction site seem to be paying a lot of money for, in some cases, machines that may be many years old.

I am looking for a machine that will last at least five to ten years with a depth of four or five inches and not be underpowered.

They all seem to come from China these days but which one?

there’s good reason that many pay good money for older machines; they’re often very solid machines, that perform well, function much the same as a new machine, and will out last many new ones.

I have a Ryobi 3080 which is a half decent 10" saw.

Beats the Chinese clones tbh.

Cheers James

I bought a 3 phase (dual voltage motor) ACM star 24" machine for 500 euros, in similar condition,
but had a fall at some stage, actually been tinkering away at figuring some issues for a good while, some issues with the carriage I won't get into.

The fence was gone also, and I made my own to fit the round rail,
The flat rail is a better system IMO as you can lift the fence off like in this video

rather than doing this mallarkey to do a quick cut.
Bandsaw fence antics - Copy.JPG

If looking for largeer capacity single phase bandsaws note some will require
a decent setup to take the load of starting inertia.
If you don't have 16 amp 'commando' plugs, then it may make sense to go the VFD route
£100 'all in' for everything.
Just make sure that 3 phase motor has 240, a triangle or a Delta symbol, which tells you its dual voltage.
These VFD's/inverters will provide you an 'adjustable to your supply' soft start
so you don't need to have 16 amp sockets.

I'd ideally be looking for any 200kg 20" machine, or if needing something slightly smaller than that, an Italian ACM 400 or Austrian Hammer n4400 if you don't want to use a point fence, and use the rip fence.
Anything smaller is just a curve cutter IMO
Have a 315 machine at the folks, and you need to use a point fence, even for pallet lats.
Once you go over 20" they get large, and cheaper, the space of the column is much larger and more space around the wheels.
You will struggle to find a nice 20" (the sweet spot for some) machine for cheap on the used market, if you're in a hurry.

The larger the quieter, and any floor standing machine will have the same footprint as one on splayed legs, any up to a 20" sized compact machine from the far east not much difference.
(compact) as in small table and cabinets a snugger fit around the wheels.

To sum it up something with at least 400mm cast iron wheels to get the job done, depending on how much you want to spend, and space constraints then a Italian or Italian style 440mm wheeled machines, might be a more reliable and soundly built/better resale option kinda thing than the cheaper option.

Tom

Last edited:
Back