Down lights in a bathroom

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLD

Established Member
Reaction score
The bathroom ceiling has 10 inches of insulation over it is it ok to fit down lights and drop the insulation over them. I am concerned with the heat they give off and undecided on 12volt or mains also some would ideally be able to adjust the beam angle any help would be appreciated.

Make sure you get the right IP rating for the application as well. I think I normally fit IP65 throughout which is probably an overkill but I like to be safe. I like to fit integral smoke hoods.

You need to check what zones they will be in and get the correct IP rating, also depending on the age of your existing wiring if you go for mains you will probably have to protect the circuit with an RCBO.

Swivels are usually not of such a high IP rating as water can get in around the fixed & moving parts.

I'd also use a hood to keep the insulation away from the fitting, seen too many melted wires,connectors and transformers.

Also bathrooms come under part P so you either need to get them done by a qualified sparks who can certify or get the Building control to sign it off

Jason

jasonB":pcn469nu said:
I'd also use a hood to keep the insulation away from the fitting, seen too many melted wires,connectors and transformers.

Jason

The hood is purely there to contain a fire should one start in the lamp fitting. You still need free space around the lamp\hood to disipate the heat. Failure to do that will result in bulbs lasting not very long, melted wires, etc. and not to mention starting a fire in the end.

Can you get a manufacturer to state the minimum clearance, etc. around the lamp or provide a datasheet? Can you my ar5e. :roll:

I too was concerned when fitting our bathroom with downlighters and the loft insulation. I went for the 12v as they run much much cooler than the mains powered.

Had a bit of a moment 2 months ago with some mains powered ones in the study. one of the bulbs literally blew up showering me with the hot molten filament that went down the back of my neck (nasty burn)
:shock: :x .

Dibs-h":1hje0116 said:
The hood is purely there to contain a fire should one start in the lamp fitting.

I thought the hoods were to maintain the fireproof rating/integrity of the ceiling (given that you've just cut a hole in it). The point being that it does not matter where the fire starts it's more about the room space?

Thats right Matt, you either use a fire hood or a fitting with intumescent material in it that wil swell & fill THE HOLE in the ceiling if there is a fire in the room.

Jason

matt":20ne4txr said:
Dibs-h":20ne4txr said:
The hood is purely there to contain a fire should one start in the lamp fitting.

I thought the hoods were to maintain the fireproof rating/integrity of the ceiling (given that you've just cut a hole in it). The point being that it does not matter where the fire starts it's more about the room space?

You can tell I've been spending too long working outside in the peeing rain. :wink:

Once the rest of the brain kicked in - yes you are right they maintain the fireproof rating\integrity of the ceiling - which normally gets affected the moment you start cutting 100mm holes in it.

I recently had my loft insulation topped up and was advised to cover the lights in the loft with large flower pots (from memory I needed the very large ones to get the required height. A few weeks later an independent assessor came round and one of the things he checked (and confirmed OK) was the use of these to keep the insulation away from the (12v) lights.

Dave

EDIT - found the orignal post with some pics https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33017&highlight=loft

If a vapour barrier is fitted I would question the wisdom of downlighters.

Roy.

Back