Down draft table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDC83

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I’m thinking of making one but only have high pressure dust extractor do not sure if will be sufficient.
So anyone made one and using high pressure extractor

The place I worked in had half a dozen or so downdraft tables. Each one was about 4' x 8' and had a 5hp motor drawing 3,000 CFM. (1.2m x 2.4m at 5,097 cubic meters per hour). A vacuum cleaner, a high pressure extractor, like a Festool generally moves about 100 CFM/170 cubic meters per hour. Can you do your sanding on a 1.6 square foot surface/a little less than 0.15 square meter? If so it will work just fine.

Pete

The place I worked in had half a dozen or so downdraft tables. Each one was about 4' x 8' and had a 5hp motor drawing 3,000 CFM. (1.2m x 2.4m at 5,097 cubic meters per hour). A vacuum cleaner, a high pressure extractor, like a Festool generally moves about 100 CFM/170 cubic meters per hour. Can you do your sanding on a 1.6 square foot surface/a little less than 0.15 square meter? If so it will work just fine.

Pete

Nice one Pete for the numbers, looked at my extractor specs and it only flows 66cfm so that equates to 0.099 square metres that would only be 300mm square table it’s a little small. Really wanted one roughly 600x1000 in size. So I guess I need a larger capacity extractor

There's a guy who posts a lot of welding on youtube. He built a grinding downdraft table using big wall type fans and furnace filters.
He got quite a lot of critical comments but his build was good quality metalwork and the device did do some good.
If you were prepared to clean the filter frequently, a big extractor fan MIGHT be a cheaper way to shift the high volume of air that your table will need.
Those fans don't make much suction but pulling the air through a big square footage of furnace filters might not cause too much resistance.
The catch is that the really fine invisible particles might go through the filter and you'll have to wear your mask regardless.

Back