Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Dowel size advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

roadrunner45

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am after some advice regarding the correct dowel size to use in a project, the help I am after is -

What diameter to use (6 , 8 or 10)?

What dowel length would I need , which I imagine is determined by thickness of wood?

Best place to buy wood dowels from , as when I visit screwfix, wickes etc they seem to have limited options?

Thanks for your help.

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am after some advice regarding the correct dowel size to use in a project, the help I am after is -

What diameter to use (6 , 8 or 10)?

What dowel length would I need , which I imagine is determined by thickness of wood?

Best place to buy wood dowels from , as when I visit screwfix, wickes etc they seem to have limited options?

Thanks for your help.
Loads on ebay dowelling | eBay
What are you making?

Austin Branson

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I very rarely use dowels, but a rule of thumb for a traditional mortice and tenon is a third. The tenon is one third the thickness of the timber. As a starter for ten, I would run with a similar approach to dowels. I am assuming that you are doing edge to face joints. If you are pegging joints, I drill the holes a distance of at least one and a half times the diameter of the peg from the edge of the timber. I’m sure there are plenty of better experienced folks out there who can give you better advice. Best wishes.

John Hall

Established Member
Reaction score
Lots more detail regarding what your making would be really useful…it’s hard to advise without knowing what it’s for.

roadrunner45

Established Member
Reaction score
As above a bit more info will help people guide you in the right direction :)
Hello , the project i am working on is a shoe rack from plywood , please see image below -
I have cut all the wood and was going to assemble with dowels , so there is no visible fixings.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 9F91F97B-4E14-4063-8E7E-8D7089F69F13.jpeg
    9F91F97B-4E14-4063-8E7E-8D7089F69F13.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 36

Jacob

Reaction score

MARK.B.

Established Member
Reaction score
As Jacob says glue and screw from the back, it will be a lot less faffing around than trying to assemble with dowels and removes the risk of getting your holes misaligned which is never a good thing ;);):)

roadrunner45

Established Member
Reaction score
As Jacob says glue and screw from the back, it will be a lot less faffing around than trying to assemble with dowels and removes the risk of getting your holes misaligned which is never a good thing ;);):)
Thanks for your reply, I will construct with glue and screws , what would you recommend for the finish, is there a clear lacquer for plywood?

Jacob

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, I will construct with glue and screws , what would you recommend for the finish, is there a clear lacquer for plywood?
Lots of options. I'd go for Osmo oil, mainly because I've used it for floors and other things and it seems easy to use and very hard wearing.

MARK.B.

Established Member
Reaction score
There are quite a few as Jacob say's , I made a shoe rack for my daughter and her family and used a cheap bargain brand flooring varnish , its tough as old boots if you will forgive the pun :) Almost 5 years old now and still looks pretty good.

Latest posts