Dowel Plate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeing1964

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to find a dowel plate, so that I can make my own dowels. I've searched the Outernet and can't find anything suitable. I understand that it is basically a thick metal plate with several holes, you cut your wood to slight bigger than the hole then hammer your wood through the hole... square peg into circle....

Anyone know where I could get one or if you are selling one?

Ta
G

make one?

to buy they seem to be very expensive for what is, as you say, a plate with holes in and hardened.

how many sizes are you likely to need (rather than assuming that you will need)?

the alternative is something like this or an equivalent with a plane blade.

My dowel maker looks like this:
PXL_20210107_121038978.jpg

It could be a flat piece of steel, it's just that that funny shape was lying around. There's a hacksaw cut that connects each hole to the edge, cut on a slant, and sightly twisted with a screwdriver; that functions as a blade and you spin your oversize pieces of wood through in the chuck of a hand drill, then finish off by sanding while spinning. Took minutes to make, I use it routinely, on one occasion to make nearly 1000 short 3mm dowels; but 3mm is very tricky; even with straight grain you only have to look at it wrong for it to splinter. I'm working on a better design for 3mm, where the cutting is done by a spinning router blade while the stock is spinning at 90 degrees

Back