Dowel Maker Plate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dynamite

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a cheap plate to make your own dowels? I've done a quick amazon search and theres not many and I dont want to pay £65 for the one that came up.

Alternatively, do you know how to make one yourself without too many metalwork tools. I have drill bits, holesaws, and vice but no welder or anything like that.

Kind Reagrds... Rob

Does anyone know of a cheap plate to make your own dowels? I've done a quick amazon search and theres not many and I dont want to pay £65 for the one that came up.

Alternatively, do you know how to make one yourself without too many metalwork tools. I have drill bits, holesaws, and vice but no welder or anything like that.

Kind Reagrds... Rob
I was going to say it was thr only cheap thing made by Lie Nielson but I checked and it's now £120!!!!
Pop round to your nearest engineering shop and ask them to make one?
It's just holes in a thick plate of tool steel, ideally slightly tapered. Traditionally set into the top of a work bench.

On the grounds that wood tends to be softer than steel I use normal black steel drill the hole to the size of dowel I need to make and use a stepped drill or conical grinder to open out one side of the hole for clearance -it's quick and it's great for one-offs

I was going to say it was thr only cheap thing made by Lie Nielson but I checked and it's now £120!!!!
Pop round to your nearest engineering shop and ask them to make one?
It's just holes in a thick plate of tool steel, ideally slightly tapered. Traditionally set into the top of a work bench.
Blimey that’s expensive. Might try giving it a whirl with metal and drilled holes.

What sizes are you looking at? I use a lot of 10mm fluted dowels and they are not that expensive, I have brought from both

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dowel-Pins...1031,p_6:A14I5R3FU4V3FX&c=ts&ts_id=1938571031
and

https://www.toolsandtimber.co.uk/fluted-beech-dowels
With the lengths you do have to cut to your required length and take the square edge off but you can have what ever length you need.
Hi Spectric, I would say anything from 6mm to 20mm. I have quite a bit of suitable scrap so also a way of recycling that too.

Regards… Rob

On the grounds that wood tends to be softer than steel I use normal black steel drill the hole to the size of dowel I need to make and use a stepped drill or conical grinder to open out one side of the hole for clearance -it's quick and it's great for one-offs
Thanks John. I will give it a go next time I’m in the shop, I’ve got nothing to lose I suppose. I though there might be something cheap”ish” out there.

Regards… Rob

20211006_154316.jpg

I've sold a few of these - made from cnc'd 6mm mild steel - £15+p&p ....... so £20 all in.

Think I may still have a couple in the shed.

View attachment 141280

I've sold a few of these - made from cnc'd 6mm mild steel - £15+p&p ....... so £20 all in.

Think I may still have a couple in the shed.
Wow, that’s great and much appreciated Steve. Call it a deal if you are happy selling me one for £20 all in. Let me have your bank details on a private message and I will transfer you the money and give you my postal address.

if you go down the DIY approach, all you need is a bit of mild steel, and drill a hole in it, I find the sizes I need the most for pegs are 3/8" and 1/4" it's rare you ever need other sizes, I use the veritas dowel maker kit, which seems to be unavailable thesedays, bought it pre brexit and pre covid.

Wow, that’s great and much appreciated Steve. Call it a deal if you are happy selling me one for £20 all in. Let me have your bank details on a private message and I will transfer you the money and give you my postal address.

pm sent :)

If you have any more @Peri I’d love to buy one from you. Have had making one on my tuit list for a while, but yours look ideal

Those look a good deal. To make one yourself just drill the right size hole in a piece of steel plate or bar about 4mm or thicker. You don't need to tidy up the hole, infact the sharp edges where the drill pushes through will be an advantage . Don't taper the hole this will not help, it will just compress the wood not cut it.

Thanks to Steve (Peri). It arrived very prompt which I really appreciate. It’s very high quality and hefty steel too.
Brilliant, thanks once again Steve.

Kind Regards… Rob

Back