Dowel Maker Plate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes you get better results if you don't hammer the dowels through the plate, rather 'drill' them through.
For 10mm dowel I cut some square blanks roughly 15x15, rounded an inch of one end (I used a belt sander), put that in the drill and 'drilled' the rod through the plate. After it had gone through the 10mm hole, I left it in the drill and spun it whilst running some 120g sandpaper up and down it - finish was great.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
One 10mm, and one 8mm

Last edited:
Sometimes you get better results if you don't hammer the dowels through the plate, rather 'drill' them through.
For 10mm dowel I cut some square blanks roughly 15x15, rounded an inch of one end (I used a belt sander), put that in the drill and 'drilled' the rod through the plate. After it had gone through the 10mm hole, I left it in the drill and spun it whilst running some 120g sandpaper up and down it - finish was great.

View attachment 151143

View attachment 151144

View attachment 151145
One 10mm, and one 8mm
Yes i did that too rather than whack it through. worked a treat.

Got my dowel plate from Steve a few days ago. It's brilliant! It has worked great for the pegs I've made with it so far, which helped me make my first drawbored mortise and tenon joints. On with the workbench!

I would love one of Peri’s dowel plates to upgrade my sad old bit of 1/4” fence steel with hand drilled holes (I have sent a pm)

I was going to add that I find it best to run the stock through the plate with a drill, but Peri has now described this.

Cheers

Back