Dovetailing 9mm birch plywood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Have set myself a project to learn how to do this for a campervan build.
Any ideas or tips on the best way?
So far I've jigsawed square teeth from a drawn template but there has to be a better way.
I have a table top router and Keller jig but they don't seem to be able to cope with 9mm ply.

Rob

Plywood + dovetails are not usually a great combination. A simple box joint would likely be less hassle, and less likely to split the fingers off as the base of each finger would usually be wider than the base of a dovetail. Your jig may well do box joints as well as dovetails.

Doing it with a jig saw is one step from doing it with an axe!
You need a DT saw and to follow the normal procedures, cut the pin holes freehand or guided, then mark from them to the pins.
Being ply they need to be well spaced out - just a few wide pins and pinholes on each joint. If it was a 300mm box say, then just 3 or 4 joints 50mm or more wide.

I haven't bought an axe...yet.

Actually the result isn't terrible (it's not perfect either)
Just to add extra excitement, I'm attempting a box to cover a wheel arch first, so it's box jointing in 3D.

Rob

There's a right tool for every job. Unless it's a jigsaw. That's never the right tool 😁
They are brilliant for cutting up pallets. No joke - I do it a lot for firewood.

Baltic ply is fiddly and needs careful handling. The outer veneer tends to chip off unless supported. I use an Incra -I - box and its brilliant. The cut can be micro-adjusted to get a tight fit. Yes, its £200 but is the best jig on the market. Otherwise a well adjusted biscuit joiner will work in 9 mm ply but use the Tensali plywood biscuits to prevent ' telegraphing' through the ply.

9mm Birch Ply box made to house my Leigh Dovetail jig which is the RR of dovetail jigs.
All Photos - 1 of 1 (2).jpeg

I have the Rockler 422866 Router Table Box Joint Jig. It does the job but it's really quite basic. Adjustment for fit is "loosen and give it a tap". I've had a look at the Incra-I Box Joint Jig on line and it's in a wholly different class. What do they say? - Buy cheap, buy twice? I hardly bought cheap but relatively, I'd say that despite the the much higher price the Incra jig is better value pound for pound. Sadly it's just too much money!

I have also been a bit concerned using the Rockler jig that it's too easy to get finger(s) in the path of the bit. The Incra jig is much better in that respect.

Back