Dovetailing 9mm birch plywood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Have set myself a project to learn how to do this for a campervan build.
Any ideas or tips on the best way?
So far I've jigsawed square teeth from a drawn template but there has to be a better way.
I have a table top router and Keller jig but they don't seem to be able to cope with 9mm ply.

Rob

Plywood + dovetails are not usually a great combination. A simple box joint would likely be less hassle, and less likely to split the fingers off as the base of each finger would usually be wider than the base of a dovetail. Your jig may well do box joints as well as dovetails.

Doing it with a jig saw is one step from doing it with an axe!
You need a DT saw and to follow the normal procedures, cut the pin holes freehand or guided, then mark from them to the pins.
Being ply they need to be well spaced out - just a few wide pins and pinholes on each joint. If it was a 300mm box say, then just 3 or 4 joints 50mm or more wide.

I haven't bought an axe...yet.

Actually the result isn't terrible (it's not perfect either)
Just to add extra excitement, I'm attempting a box to cover a wheel arch first, so it's box jointing in 3D.

Rob

Baltic ply is fiddly and needs careful handling. The outer veneer tends to chip off unless supported. I use an Incra -I - box and its brilliant. The cut can be micro-adjusted to get a tight fit. Yes, its £200 but is the best jig on the market. Otherwise a well adjusted biscuit joiner will work in 9 mm ply but use the Tensali plywood biscuits to prevent ' telegraphing' through the ply.

9mm Birch Ply box made to house my Leigh Dovetail jig which is the RR of dovetail jigs.
All Photos - 1 of 1 (2).jpeg

I have the Rockler 422866 Router Table Box Joint Jig. It does the job but it's really quite basic. Adjustment for fit is "loosen and give it a tap". I've had a look at the Incra-I Box Joint Jig on line and it's in a wholly different class. What do they say? - Buy cheap, buy twice? I hardly bought cheap but relatively, I'd say that despite the the much higher price the Incra jig is better value pound for pound. Sadly it's just too much money!

I have also been a bit concerned using the Rockler jig that it's too easy to get finger(s) in the path of the bit. The Incra jig is much better in that respect.

Latest posts

Back